Water droplets

qmr55

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.sl3designs.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I had an attempt at photographing water droplets tonight, and besides accidentally shooting everything at f/5, I thought it came out decent. Obviously I missed the focus on the top of the droplet, because of only being at f/5. I think next time if I make sure I shoot at f/9-11 I will have more luck with getting more in focus.

Had a bag of water tied above a little tupperware container, white backdrop with flash pointing towards backdrop....

f/5 @ 1/160 iso 800

Anything I can do next time to improve the image overall? Another question, how do you go about adding color to the mix? Can you do it live, or would I be better off doing it in post via PS?

Thanks for any feedback/help, I plan on trying it again later this week.

Water Drop 1
by Sam LaMothe, on Flickr

Are you using a flash? If yes, on camera or off the camera? Look at starting at f11 1/125 and iso at 200. Use the flash to help stop the action of the drop. You have a good photo to start with so don't get discouraged.

Are you using a flash? If yes, on camera or off the camera? Look at starting at f11 1/125 and iso at 200. Use the flash to help stop the action of the drop. You have a good photo to start with so don't get discouraged.

Yes, flash to the right of the camera and the water, pointed towards the backdrop bouncing off the back drop onto the water.

Thank for the tip, I will start around there next time and try again :)

You can also raise or lower the flash power to lighten or darken the image. Lowering the ISO number means you will have to up the light from the flash to compensate.

Use less of an angle on your camera, maybe 20 degrees and bring the camera down lower. You can then use different coloured backdrops to get different effects. You can also just use food dye in the water to get different effects.

Here are some I did when I first started. Like to go back and try experimenting again since I am a little more experienced. These were done with one flash off camera on the side. Would be best to use two if you have them. One on the side directly at the same level as the drop. Another on the other side higher up and bouncing off the backdrop.

Water Drops

Pearl Water Drops

@JustJazzie didn't you put together a tutorial on this? Am I imagining things?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back