Water Drops (2x)

I love this. The colors make it pop, and give it an abstract sort of feel, and the angle is interesting - lower than most droplet photos I've seen.

Wow, at first I was going to ask what your setup was to get the colors and such. Obviously, I found out as I scrolled. Very cool, kundalini!

The difference that it made when you edited the OOF drops out was impressive, too. Interesting how that works better for the eyes/attention.

First let me say I am impressed... These are great water drops... you got me so wanting to do these I did a setup almost like yours in my very small bathroom... also very similiar to yours.

However ... my pictures did not come out nowhere near as good as yours... oh and I even went and got my old tie dye shirt out too... it didnt work...lol

drop1small.jpg

drop2small.jpg

drops3small.jpg

drop3.jpg

Any advice on what I can do to improve? Equpiment used was:
Nikon D80
100-300mm vr lense with an extension tube
Alien bee 320 light
tripod
water dish
turkey baster for drops
tie dye shirt
food coloring

Thanks in advance

-Puma-

Always great to see an old thread of mine revived while lurking about.... :biggrin:

Thanks alot puzopia, moo, mimadee, goontz & puma. Comments are always welcomed.

Puma, can't say about the gear you are using, because other than the D80, we have different stuff to work with. That shouldn't matter all that much IMO. As you can see, my settings were 1/200s, f/13, ISO200 3x flashed.

A couple of things I can see straight away are 1) clean your gear, it's either sensor dust or lens is dirty or you have the ISO too high (fairly noisey... the D80 sucks big fat hairy ones when set North of 800 and much better suited to ISO400) 2) My PoV is a tad bit lower 3) if you used a tie-dyed Tee shirt, it should be repositioned. All my colors come from the background (tee shirt) rather than from food coloring.

It's simply a matter of numbers & timing. I could have easily taken 100 shots to get three or four decent ones. I think your timing is pretty good but feel your lens may have seen its best performance and shown it's limits. Bear in mind that I used a dedicated macro lens..... it's supposed to do that $hit.

Yeah I dont know why it was so noisy.. I was set at iso 160

I will try and clean my lense. If its my sensor I guess I have to bring my camera in.

thanks bro
-Puma-

Most reactions

New Topics

Back