Water drops

Discussion in 'Macro Photography' started by flameshots, Dec 28, 2009.

1. flameshots

flameshots No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Ok I decided to play with some macro shots but it became painfully obvious that my glass is not fast enough! These were shot with my Tamron 75-30 f/4-5.6 I had to set the ISO at 1600 to get enough light resulting in the really bad grain when cropped. I did use a flash but I just couldn't seem to get enough light. C&C welcome and thoughts on PP or different things I could do?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. eccs19

eccs19 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    My water drops that I did (link is down a few posts in the macro section) was done with slow glass.

100mm F4
    ISO 200
    Flash (dedicated)
    Manually focused.

Did you use your on board flash? I did mine with a dedicated flash, so that may be the biggest issue your having. Also make sure your manually focusing. You shouldn't need a fast flash speed, as mine was only 1/150 second. The flash should stop the action for you.

I'm no expert at doing water drops, so I hope someone else will come in with some tips that may be better than mine, or chime in with some that I may have missed.

Overall not a bad go at it. Keep trying, and you'll only get better results.

edit - forgot to mention, my 100mm lens is a 1:2 macro, but I don't think that should make that much of a difference, except that I may be able to get closer to the drops.

3. dak1b

dak1b TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    not too bad for a first attempt. does seem grainy and distorted...