Water Fountain B&W for C&C

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
_DSC0645_edited-1_Watermark.jpg

I like the reflective quality of the bowl, and you have a great dynamic range of greys.

Try it with the water running and a fast shutter speed.

Try it with the water running? That could be difficult to do, unless eric balances a brick on the handle, to turn the water on. The photo as shown is okay, but doesn't really do anything for me. Thinking about it, what would be cool is a tripod-mounted time exposure, like one done at dusk or early morning, at say f/8 at 25 seconds at ISO 200, with the scene as shown, but then a person coming in, and drinking from the fountain for say, the last 1/3 of the exposure time, with a very small, low-powered squirt of flash triggered at the end of their time bent over and drinking from the fountain....maybe a 1/8 power flash burst, coming in from the rear of the fountain, to rimlight the person and backlight the water...the person would be in the frame for only 1/3 of the exposure time, so he/she would be ghostly and mostly see-through...but with a tiny squirt of flash to create "some" sense of realism. By backlighting them, their outline would be the only area that is "solid", and the outline of the fountain bowl would also b "solid" too.

Now THAT would be an interesting shot of this water fountain and scene.

I like your DoF in this picture but something about the lighting is throwing me off making my eye wander. Not sure what it is though.

I like the reflective quality of the bowl, and you have a great dynamic range of greys.

Try it with the water running and a fast shutter speed.

Thanks for the comment. :thumbup:

Try it with the water running? That could be difficult to do, unless eric balances a brick on the handle, to turn the water on. The photo as shown is okay, but doesn't really do anything for me. Thinking about it, what would be cool is a tripod-mounted time exposure, like one done at dusk or early morning, at say f/8 at 25 seconds at ISO 200, with the scene as shown, but then a person coming in, and drinking from the fountain for say, the last 1/3 of the exposure time, with a very small, low-powered squirt of flash triggered at the end of their time bent over and drinking from the fountain....maybe a 1/8 power flash burst, coming in from the rear of the fountain, to rimlight the person and backlight the water...the person would be in the frame for only 1/3 of the exposure time, so he/she would be ghostly and mostly see-through...but with a tiny squirt of flash to create "some" sense of realism. By backlighting them, their outline would be the only area that is "solid", and the outline of the fountain bowl would also b "solid" too.

Now THAT would be an interesting shot of this water fountain and scene.

Sounds extremely complicated. If I ever make it back there at one of those times I may try it though. Thanks.

I like your DoF in this picture but something about the lighting is throwing me off making my eye wander. Not sure what it is though.

Hmm, Not sure what it could be.

Maybe your eye is wandering along the diagonal lines in the out of focus area. I let my eye go (as in stopped forcing myself to look at the water fountain and just focus on whatever grabbed it) and it fell right down along the bridge or whatever that is. In summary, the heavy, bold, sort of OOF but not too much diagonal lines are really killing this, especially with such a simple, minimal subject.
Other than that, I dig the shot, could be a little sharper but the subject is nice and simple. Well done.

Most reactions

Back