Water, wind and time

Fox Paw

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Critiques are always appreciated.

WhitePlacebwIMG_1015.jpg

Looks good to me. Reminds me of Red Rock Canyon State Park here in nut state.

I've heard cliffs like that described as 'castellated', (castle-like).

And I really like the way the cloud winds around the geology.

-

so how exactly are these fake? nice pic! looks like a beautiful area! ok not to take anything from the thread at all, i just have a great pic to show the "castle like" cliffs your stating. this is near Radium Hot Springs in B.C. delete my pic if you want!
I've heard cliffs like that described as 'castellated', (castle-like).
-

IMG_1041-1.jpg

flea77, thanks for the comment. I never worked this up in color as I decided at the outset that it should be black and white.

abraxas, thanks. I'm not sure I've ever heard the term "castellated." I've learned a fair amount about the plants, animals and pre-Columbian history of the Southwest, but next to nothing about the geology. So much to learn, so little time.

teneighty, good addition. Nice shot.

so how exactly are these fake?

Simple, take a camera or film that shoots color, strip out the color, now you have a fake B&W. On the flip side, you could shoot it in B&W (using film) and have a real B&W. Of course you can do whatever makes your boat float, I just have a distaste for "wannabe" B&W images, they just don't look the same.

Allan

I understand your viewpoint, flea77, but I don't feel that way. My father had a darkroom when I was growing up and I learned my way around in it. I don't have one and don't want one, so it's digital or nothing.

Reminds me: I learned yesterday that it is apparently impossible to take a pure black and white picture with my camera. I thought you could do it by setting the camera to monochrome mode. No. I accidentally took some shots for HDRs in monochrome mode (not this photo) and when I processed them in Photomatix, they were in color.

Wonderful picture, Fox Paw!!!!!!

And if you take a picture that is in color with black and white film---this is also fake. There is no difference, I believe, in shooting a color scene with B&W film which then converts it to black and white in the camera, or converting it digitally in Photoshop from a color image.
Sorry, film fans. It's the final image result that matters in my opinion.

Thanks, Rere. Glad you like it.

abraxas, thanks. I'm not sure I've ever heard the term "castellated." I've learned a fair amount about the plants, animals and pre-Columbian history of the Southwest, but next to nothing about the geology. So much to learn, so little time.

I've been running with a wild crowd these last few years.

Do you think knowing more about what you're shooting helps?

Nice image, Fox Paw.
I don't think it would hurt to perhaps bring up a bit more detail in the foreground brush.
Nicely composed.

I understand your viewpoint, flea77, but I don't feel that way. My father had a darkroom when I was growing up and I learned my way around in it. I don't have one and don't want one, so it's digital or nothing.

You don't need a darkroom if you do not want one, I havent had one in 20+ years. I send my to North Coast Photographic, they do a wonderful job processing and scanning them.

Allan

And if you take a picture that is in color with black and white film---this is also fake. There is no difference, I believe, in shooting a color scene with B&W film which then converts it to black and white in the camera, or converting it digitally in Photoshop from a color image.

Sorry, but there is a difference, it is how the light reacts to the silver on the film. Do a little googleing and you will find there is a huge difference between how light reacts to color film (or sensor) and how it reacts to actual B&W film.:confused:

Sorry, film fans. It's the final image result that matters in my opinion.

1000% correct! It is the final image result! So if there is no difference like you say, how did I know this was shot in digital color and converted?:mrgreen:

If you read my sig, you would see I shoot both digital and film, each has pros and cons. While there is nothing wrong with converting color digital to B&W, as I stated from the offset I am just not usually a fan. To each their own. I am however curious about your comment about "film fans", you have something against people who like film?:playball:

Allan

Thanks, SympL. I think you're right.

"Do you think knowing more about what you're shooting helps?"

Now that you mention it, yes. I was given a book of black and white photos, mostly landscapes, that I like a lot. I think the fact that the guy knows and obviously loves his region matters.

PS: I redid it and tried to incorporate SympL's suggestion. Also changed a few other things. I think I like this one better.

WhitePlacebwtwo.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back