Waterfall - critique please

edouble

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Tell me what you think please!

DSC_0011a.jpg

i like it. pretty cool with the snow. maybe a tighter crop on one side or another? im not too sure, but i like it!

Could you have gotten any closer? I would have shot from the bottom of the first cascade and probably composed vertical instead of horizontal.....if that makes sense.

It seems quite blurry and the snow/water is totally blown out.

i like it. pretty cool with the snow. maybe a tighter crop on one side or another? im not too sure, but i like it!

I havent cropped it at all.

Could you have gotten any closer? I would have shot from the bottom of the first cascade and probably composed vertical instead of horizontal.....if that makes sense.

Here is another picture that was taken closer

DSC_0008a.jpg

It seems quite blurry and the snow/water is totally blown out.

The original .NEF photo that I had taken has great detail! The compressed .JPG that I converted from the original .NEF and then uploaded to Photobucket has lost A LOT deal of detail. :grumpy:

Better view. I would have tried to get lower, even right by the water (if possible) to give some interesting foreground element (a rock, water etc) and composed it vertical. ;)

I like the compositionin the second much better. Yeah photobucket will do that from what I have seen. I can tell it was overcast. Does your processing program have a good white balance converter for NEF? If it does you might try warming it up a bit to get rid of the flat light effect. Then I would play with the levels some after that. Just some suggestions you might play with to see what you can get. While I dont use them you might try Flickr as they seem to treat your photos better.

i would of taken a shot from the bottom and from where you were. Nice picture tho.
Smile.gif

You don't mention shutter speed. The angel hair look suggests a fairly low speed. I'm guessing 1/30 or less. Did you use a tripod? SushiWarrior mentioned the blown out look of the water and snow. I like to shoot waterfalls and find that I need to under expose sometimes one or two stops from the meter just because water is so bright compared to the foliage around it.

I like the compositionin the second much better. Yeah photobucket will do that from what I have seen. I can tell it was overcast. Does your processing program have a good white balance converter for NEF? If it does you might try warming it up a bit to get rid of the flat light effect. Then I would play with the levels some after that. Just some suggestions you might play with to see what you can get. While I dont use them you might try Flickr as they seem to treat your photos better.

I only have Nikon ViewNX to convert my .NEF files to .JPG. I havent experimented or read up on the features of ViewNX yet. But I will and thanks for the tips. I would love and dream about havening Photoshop though!

You don't mention shutter speed. The angel hair look suggests a fairly low speed. I'm guessing 1/30 or less. Did you use a tripod? SushiWarrior mentioned the blown out look of the water and snow. I like to shoot waterfalls and find that I need to under expose sometimes one or two stops from the meter just because water is so bright compared to the foliage around it.

Yes I used a tripod and my exposure time was 1/2 second. Next time I will bracket the photo with three different exposure levels and see what happens.

Too bad I can not accurately show you guys all of the detail in these photos! They really look great but I do know that they could be better.

Hi I'm a big fan of waterfalls and am slowly working to photograph all of the significant waterfalls in New England. Winter has slowed this down some though. I thought the shot was pretty good. You got the shutter speed down to give that veiled look to the falls. Unfortunately the bottom left is a little blown out. Underexposing just a little may have helped. I tend to underexpose many of my waterfall photos by narrowing the aperture as I don't want to change shutter speed. I could do the same with changing the ISO I guess. I'm still learning this stuff.

I would have shot this vertically and used the stream to lead the eye in or out of the photo but that is just my artistic preference. I liked how the photo came out though and would love to travel to this one. Where is it located?

Hi I'm a big fan of waterfalls and am slowly working to photograph all of the significant waterfalls in New England. Winter has slowed this down some though. I thought the shot was pretty good. You got the shutter speed down to give that veiled look to the falls. Unfortunately the bottom left is a little blown out. Underexposing just a little may have helped. I tend to underexpose many of my waterfall photos by narrowing the aperture as I don't want to change shutter speed. I could do the same with changing the ISO I guess. I'm still learning this stuff.

I would have shot this vertically and used the stream to lead the eye in or out of the photo but that is just my artistic preference. I liked how the photo came out though and would love to travel to this one. Where is it located?

Thanks for your input. I am very much so a beginner at photography and honestly I am happy that I was able to slow the shutter speed enough to get this water effect.

This waterfall is located a couple miles from my house in White Haven, PA.

i've always been a fan of slow shutter and waterfall/flowing water shots. i dunno why, but i like them.

this is one i took in Asheville, NC. not technically all that great, but I got the affect I was looking for and just like it for what it is.

not trying to threadjack!

ash1.jpg

i've always been a fan of slow shutter and waterfall/flowing water shots. i dunno why, but i like them.

this is one i took in Asheville, NC. not technically all that great, but I got the affect I was looking for and just like it for what it is.

not trying to threadjack!

I know you didn't post that for a C&C, but I'd adjust the WB a bit . The white is a bit too blue. ;)

Nice shot though.

Most reactions

Back