Waterfall from flood damage

Discussion in 'General Gallery' started by bogleric, Dec 1, 2003.

1. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

This water rapids was created by a damn break 60 miles upstream and an entire lake was emptied and the sediment filled the iron ore shipping docks. This is the first chance I had to take pictures, they really aren't very good. I couldn't spend a lot of time here because of the sign in the first picture.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ramjamband

ramjamband TPF Noob!

Wild.. :shock:

3. mrsid99

mrsid99 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Neat shots but I believe that the signs not valid unless the appropriate bylaw is cited, anyone care to comment on that?

4. craig

craig TPF Noob!

The shot of the sign goes well goes well with the other photos. The other photos are astounding! Personally I would be willing to pay the consequences of going back.

I think the sign is only trying to prevent a law suit when someone gets overcome by the raging water. Don't get me wrong, the water is super dangerous. SEE the escape route, and bring a long lens.

5. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

I was just up there earlier this week. Only an 8 hour drive from home, but I was there for a funeral and didn't have the chance for pictures. There was a lot of snow and ice surrounding this and it was quite nice. Also the sign was gone. I will be back up there in a few months.

Until September this water was not even there, it all ran through a hydroelectric dam to the side. However an upstream dam broke, emptied an entire lake and massive flooding occured. The water flow created this as it went through. A few miles later when the stream hit Lake Superior the sediment filled the freightor dock and had to be dredged out.

6. MDowdey

MDowdey Guest

Sweeet shots Dude!

md

7. craig

craig TPF Noob!

The power of water never ceases to amaze me. Will there be a permanent river? We had a flood here in 1920 and a whole town went under. I trust that it wasn't so severe.

8. havoc

havoc Jedi something or other

Dude come on. Where is your sense of adventure! Grab your camera and jump in for a swim! It would be a wild ride.

9. vonnagy

vonnagy have kiwi, will travel...

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    wicked kewl shots mate! Reminded me when I was in aussie and nearly slipped into raging floodwaters to get that perfect shot. Luckily it was only the disposable camera that was swept away!

10. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

Lucky enough there were not towns in its way, just a lot of bridges and roads but it did take out about 350 houses on the banks along the river upstream.

Thanks for all the comments, when I am up there next I will try to get some more shots. ALso next summer I am going waterfull hunting up there. :)

11. bogleric

bogleric TPF Noob!

Does anyone have any recommendations to improve these shots? Perhaps some nice tricks to play with the angles and water from past experiences??

12. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Light. I would try and go during the magic hours. Although you can't predict the weather, high pressure over the region will increase your chances. Bring a tripod etc. I always take a lot of frames from down low. Dog's eye view so to speak.