Watering Can

Discussion in 'Critique Forum Archives' started by Tuna, Aug 21, 2005.

1. Tuna

Tuna Supermodel

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Another area I am somewhat unfamiliar with - still life. I saw an exhibit of photos by Kertesz a few months ago and was inspired by his work...as usual, all comments and critique greatly appreciated.

Leica IIIc, 50mm Elmar, HP5 B&W film.

Tuna

[​IMG]

2. darin3200

darin3200 TPF Noob!

I like this. The tones are nice and I'm am really into the shapes. The way there is the fence with the very straight, perpendicular lines, and the rough texture and on top of it is this round, smooth watering can, with a curved handle and the spout sticking out and different angle just looks wonderful. :thumbup:

3. almo

almo TPF Noob!

The drippy bit at the bottom of the East Coast.

HP5! I love the Ilford. I don't think I have ever made much of a secret of that... :blushing:

I like this image, but for some reason it makes me kind of sad. It seems a very lonely image. Great still life though. Nice shot Tuna.

4. Vmann

Vmann TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good capture with the metal can. The only thing that bothers me is the lack of anythinig in the lower portion of the image. The texture of the wood is great it just seems heavy weaghing the two tonal ranges against each other. The bottom seems really weighted to the middle of the grayscale range while the top reflects almost the whole tonal range.

Just my .02 but what about a horizontal crop from the top of the image stoping somewhere on the bottom horizontal board.

5. Tuna

Tuna Supermodel

Photos NOT OK to edit
    darin - I'm glad you liked the contrasts in the image which is what attracted me to take it.

almo - I've got some HP4 at the lab right now. However, my latest favorite 400ASA is the C-41 Kodak CN400. Thanks for your comment - glad the image evoked a mood, even if it was sadness...

Vmann - Thank you for your critique. Yes, I considered the square crop - eliminating the verticals. My in-camera instincts to include the verticals must have been for the contrast/tension those lines cause with the presence of the curves of the can. The square crop you mention is nice but, to me, TOO simple - almost boring. Despite the horizontal line dividing the middle of the shot (horrors!!) I kept the darker slats. Others may well agree with your assesment.

Tuna

6. santino

santino TPF Noob!

very nice, perfectly exposed - nothing to add :)

7. Tuna

Tuna Supermodel

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you, Santino.

Vmann - others critiquing this image elsewhere have made similar crop suggestions as you did to this image. Here is a cropped version for comparison. Some may prefer this version better.

I still like the verticals for the tonal contrast they provide as well as the mirrored verticals reflected in the surface of the can. I can appreciate this cropped version for it's more peaceful, harmonious effect...but still prefer the first for it's more dynamic composition, IMHO.

Tuna

[​IMG]

8. Haygood

Haygood TPF Noob!

I like this photograph. The black and white helps to bring out the silver tones in the watering can. Then the lines of light that are hitting the can along with the porch railing looks really good.I really enjoyed your photo.

9. Vmann

Vmann TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Either way the photo is still of exceptional quality. I see what you mean by the vertcals creating a more dynamic composition after looking at them both.

Both crops look good... your just going to have to make two prints thats all. :D