WATERMARKING - question

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by tissa, Apr 29, 2010.

1. tissa

tissa TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So I am not a pro and not even close, but I started to get some pictures that I like and i would like to watermark them.
    I do not use Photoshop and I have a Mac. Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

p.S. I do not want to pay for software if possible :p LOL

2. tissa

tissa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    nevermind, guys, I found a free software (sometimes it really helps to be bilingual)

3. JasonLambert

JasonLambert TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What is Google in other languages? :lmao:

4. tissa

tissa TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    google is other languages is YANDEX ;)
    and all the google will give you will be stuff for $$$ ;)

5. cnutco

cnutco No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Share with us, Please!

What is this software that you speak of?

6. crystalclear

crystalclear TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree. I have been looking for something like this. Please share.

7. HikinMike

HikinMike No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Gimp?

8. magkelly

magkelly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing
    Inkscape. Draw Freely.

These plus GIMP are my favorite Photoshop and Illustrator freeware alternatives. Gimp has far more features than these do, but these have a lot of what I need to edit photos and I have used both and found them very easy to use. I take these and GIMP along when I have to go do work on someone else's computer and I can't put my Adobe on.

Give them a shot.

All you need to watermark is a program that can handle layers. You need to use a text tool on a transparent layer over the copy of your photo. You type, then lower the visibility of the text so it's almost transparent, then merge the layers. You want to always make sure you put the text where it's inconvenient to remove but also make sure your viewer can see through it to the photo.

That's it.

You can use a plug in, but why bother unless you want to batch job a lot of them? It's almost as easy to do it yourself as it is to use a plug.

9. cnutco

cnutco No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have been practicing in Illustrator, but I will need MUCH more time to learn vectors...

10. kkamin

kkamin TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    In my humble opinion, I think unless you are a working photographer and are watermarking your client's web res files for marketing purposes or their digital proofs as copy protection, it looks fairly tacky. Especially if your images are short of spectacular, it's an odd pairing of amateur photo with professional copy protection--it can make the image maker look extremely pretentious. But if you go to top photographer's web sites, you ironically will rarely see watermarks anywhere. They end up obstructing part of the artist's image and call too much attention to themselves.

If you are really worried about people stealing your images, register them with the copyright office for added protection.

11. magkelly

magkelly TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Well, I'm sorry but I have to say I totally disagree with you on this one and I'm not a pro, yet. I do watermark all of mine that I post online and for good reasons. It's not about ego it's about the photographs not being used for purposes I don't intend.

I'm certainly not the best photographer on the planet but I've still had a photo lifted and claimed as someone else's. I've also seen a friend's vacation bathing suit photos used on a dating site once without her consent. FYI, she never posted those for general viewing. She had uploaded them onto an online photo storage site so she could get prints made for her guy and some for herself but that was it. All those photos of her in her skimpy swimsuit somehow they made their way onto that dating site and she was very upset to see that.

I don't care if it's my worst photo ever. It's still MINE and I want to choose where it's used and I want credit for it. A good watermark can often be the difference between the photo remaining your own or ending up on someone's facebook page without permission these days. It's only common sense to use one, IMHO.

I will do my best to make mine not so in your face that you can't see the photo to view it but there's no way any photo of mine goes online without one unless I okay it. I rarely do these days unless it's a friend's portrait or something and they ask me not to for their social networking site or something like that.

After having one of my best shots taken and claimed by someone else, seeing my friend's situation happen, I've unfortunately learned that I must be that anal about it.

You don't have to be a pro to have your photos end up all over the internet and used in ways you never thought they would be. Some people just don't care they'll do whatever they want with your stuff regardless of having your permission or not.

Sad, but so true lately....

As for registering every photo I want to put online that's a fairly expensive option I would think! A watermark is no doubt a lot more practical and far less expensive.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  12. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I hate watermarks. As said, I can see when its used for client proofing or for working pros, but I see so many people throw up these god ugly watermarks and kill the image when trying to view it.

The purpose of a photo sharing site for me is to share my photos, in the best way I can, with as little clutter I can. Else, the impact of the photo may be removed if people are looking at a watermark.

If i were really worried about people stealing my images, then I wouldn't post them online at all. Watermarks can so very easily be removed. Unless they are plastered all over the image, in which case, they are tacky and remove the focus on the image