bhoskins

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

Was just wondering whether I should start to put a watermark on my pictures and if I did how would I go about doing this?

Cheers, Ben

http://hubpages.com/hub/add-digital-watermark

There you go. It's not really necessary unless you're selling prints. As long as you uploaded your image correctly, you're exif data will remain tagged to your photographs with all the information. (iso, fstop, apert., camera) You can also put a copyright within the images metadata as well.

Hi all,

Was just wondering whether I should start to put a watermark on my pictures and if I did how would I go about doing this?

Cheers, Ben

If you're serious about not wanting others to use your images, then watermarking is the best way to go and also uploading your images at a lower resolution.

Do you use photoshop at all? If so and are familiar with it, you can create a .psd file with your copyright information, open your image, drag the "layer" copyright onto your image, adjust the color or transparency, resize it or move it around on the image. "Save as" and you're done. But if you have a heap of photos to be done this could get time-consuming and would look into a batch program for this.

If you're serious about not wanting others to use your images, then watermarking is the best way to go and also uploading your images at a lower resolution.

Do you use photoshop at all? If so and are familiar with it, you can create a .psd file with your copyright information, open your image, drag the "layer" copyright onto your image, adjust the color or transparency, resize it or move it around on the image. "Save as" and you're done. But if you have a heap of photos to be done this could get time-consuming and would look into a batch program for this.

You can batch it in photoshop also. You can create a custom action that does it. I have one that embeds my copyright info, creates a frame, creates a watermark, resizes it and saves it at a lesser quality. (saving a JPEG at a lesser quality makes it harder to blow it up or use it for anything professional, but still makes it viewable at a decent level of quality at the size it was when it was saved)

BTW, photoshop can also create droplets, which are little embedded packages of custom actions... you can then drag your image onto the droplet and it executes the actions. You can also batch the processing of X images by using Bridge. Very handy.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

manaheim, how do you watermark batches of images in photoshop?

Also, how do you create the actual watermark?

Cheers, Ben

Thanks for the replies everyone.

manaheim, how do you watermark batches of images in photoshop?

Also, how do you create the actual watermark?

The simplest way is to create a text layer and set the transparency down to 20% or something. Then save it off as a JPEG or whatever. You can obviously use more advanced methods, but this is the core of the concept.

The way to batch this is to RECORD your steps when doing ^^^ in the Actions pallette. It's a little clunky, so you may have to dork with it a bit to get it saved. Once you have this, you can run Tools->Photoshop->Image Processor against a collection of images, and select the Action to run from the dropdown at the bottom of the window.

The simplest way is to create a text layer and set the transparency down to 20% or something. Then save it off as a JPEG or whatever. You can obviously use more advanced methods, but this is the core of the concept.

The way to batch this is to RECORD your steps when doing ^^^ in the Actions pallette. It's a little clunky, so you may have to dork with it a bit to get it saved. Once you have this, you can run Tools->Photoshop->Image Processor against a collection of images, and select the Action to run from the dropdown at the bottom of the window.

i lost me...what version of CS is this

All CS versions have this capability as far as I'm aware.

Hi, Ben
You can also try Picture Watermarker. It allow you to easily add a copyright(text or image) or a date on the pictures you took with your digital camera. It works fine for me, so I highly recommend you to use it.
Carin

You can use photoshop if you feel you really need to watermark your pictures. It all depends on how serious you are about your work. If your uploading 600x400 pixel images on the web i personally wouldn't bother watermarking them. Its up to you of course though. I generally dislike watermarks because they usually take up a big portion of the image and make viewing the picture a pain in the ass.
With that being said i cant blame you for wanting to watermark your pictures

Most reactions

Back