Watermarking

stoi689

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, complete novice back again!

I've noticed a few of my snaps have ended up jotting about on internet forums and I'm worried that if they get reproduced and copied so many time I'll maybe lose claim on them.

Can anybody offer any tips or programme recommendations on watermarking? I have GIMP but it's pretty complicated and if anyone knew of anything simpler or an alternative I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks! Stoi

I use Photoshop but I decided to see just how complicated it would be on GIMP, so I googled.

How to Watermark Digital Art Using GIMP | eHow.com

That was the first result it gave me and it put it in 9 very easy to follow steps. I downloaded GIMP, installed it, and did it in about 2minutes just following those directions, with no previous use of GIMP.

The Photoshop instructions are very similar and I can't imagine you'd find them easier to do, it's a pretty straight forward process.

If you're talking about batch watermarking this is a different story. I have not done it in GIMP nor Photoshop, as I have not had a need for it thus far.

After another 2 seconds of googling i found: Batch watermarking and resizing | GIMP Plugin Registry

That seems to be a Batch Watermarking PlugIn for GIMP.

As you can see, any of this information was obtainable in less time that it took to login and post this question. I'm not trying to be mean or offensive, simply practical.

Thanks for the replies. I had Googled myseld and found pretty much the same but the eHow explanation is not trhat straightforward and even YouTube examples can go so fast it's hard to keep up.

I didn't come here out of laziness but simply because it's a forum full of photography experts and the tips and tricks I've received in the past have been invaluable so why not ask the best, eh? :thumbup:

I am doing, there's no hope for me! :lol:

try and google, picmarkr... you have to pay for it but its not bad and you can do it in batches!

stoi689: in addition to watermarking you can also only upload lower resolution versions of the images. if a dispute does ever come up you can always provide proof via the full resolution image with the EXIF data in tact, while those that steal it cannot.

shooting raw also has this effect as the only file that should ever leave your computer are those in jpeg (or other common image format). the raw in this case serves as what was traditionally a negative.

light room lets you automatically watermark pictures as you export them

xnview is free and lets you watermark a group of images....

both allow batch mode..

wow! I'd love to see one of my pics :stolen: haha

stoi689: in addition to watermarking you can also only upload lower resolution versions of the images. if a dispute does ever come up you can always provide proof via the full resolution image with the EXIF data in tact, while those that steal it cannot.

shooting raw also has this effect as the only file that should ever leave your computer are those in jpeg (or other common image format). the raw in this case serves as what was traditionally a negative.

Having a high-res file is NOT proof of copyright. Nor does EXIF data have anything to do with it.

In the US, ownership of copyright is determined SOLELY on registration with the US Copyright office.

oops not any more =]]

Well doesn't my post just look silly now!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back