Watermarks

There isn't any way to truly stop someone from stealing a picture if they have half a brain and a little knowledge of computers. I put a watermark with my name and the year on it just out of habit and I definitely fill out the metadata on import. Lightroom makes it really nice so all I have to do is apply the preset metadata and bam its on every picture.

That is interesting. Though I'm curious about what Lightroom is?

I've never put a watermark on any of my images. It's just a hobby, so I have the luxury of not having to protect my IP so fiercly in a time of theft, but I also find it annoying.

To be candid, I think many non-pros do it simply because they can, and because it makes them feel more professional. There's nothing wrong with that, I have other affectations.

My father always said there's two kinds of thieves - those that are committed, and those that simply find themselves with an opportunity. There are few people who might break into your locked car, but an open convertible with a camera on the front seat gets a lot of honest people thinking about theft. I guess water-marking is like locking your car doors, even in a nice neighborhood.

Iron, that is a pretty good analogy. I don't think anyone is going to be making any money off the pictures posted in threads in the first place though. I am surely not a professional I just like to add it to my pictures, for when they get used on myspace or other places like that because who knows when someone will say hey, I saw your picture on such-n-such's myspace and would like you to do some pictures for me.

Or hey I saw your picture on flickr and would love to have a 11x14 or whatever hanging on my wall.

Maybe one day that will happen to me. =) Haha

Don't you have to pay for something to get copyrighted?

That depends on local laws. In Australia an artist automatically assumes copyrights to his original works, providing he was not contracted by a third party without specifying that he still holds the copyright after the job is done.

Iron it still feels great that people know you. I once took a panorama of Brisbane at night and posted it on the web, The size happened to almost fit perfectly a modern wide screen laptop (fluke not on purpose). Come to uni days later and I see it on 2 screens and heard them talking about it. In reality though the picture is better than name anyway. Sitting silently at the back of the class feeling really smug at my one good photo lol.

Jon,The Elder thank you for explaining it to me.

Iron its interesting about the two kinds of thieves and very true.

WDodd that is true as well.

Garbz thank you for explaining the copyright stuff to me. I think its true when you said "In reality though the the picture is better than name" I like it.

In Photoshop go File to file info... There you will be able to fill out author, description, keywords and copyright info to your hearts content. I am guessing you do not have photoshop. So there goes that idea. At some point the watermark becomes a personal decision.

Copyright laws are a whole other story. It will take some investigating for sure.

Love & Bass

I use watermarks on my commercial web site for primarily one reason- to irritate the (IMO) mindless, lazy, jackasses in forums that link to my photos and use my bandwidth without permission or give me a reference link to my site.

I've found that using a watermark with a nice sized, hefty-bold (c)Etc. and Website.com deters the pests nicely while not detracting from the documentary nature of the shots I put online commercially.

Sound bitter?- I've probably 20,000 photos I've posted over the last 12 years and sneaks can be a nuisance.

As mentioned, it doesn't stop anything entirely and as far as someone editing and reposting from their own server, well, there's always going to be thieves.

I agree watermarking has stopped about 95% of linking to my pictures.

In Photoshop go File to file info... There you will be able to fill out author, description, keywords and copyright info to your hearts content. I am guessing you do not have photoshop. So there goes that idea. At some point the watermark becomes a personal decision.

Copyright laws are a whole other story. It will take some investigating for sure.

Love & Bass

I have photoshop, I went to file and I couldn't see where it said file info.

What kind of photoshops are pretty good? Does anybody prefer a certain type of photoshop?

I put my name in the bottom right of my images, visible but clearly out of the way and non-distracting from the main image.

I use it as a photo credit and not to prevent anything. Initials in a little unobtrusive logo.

I don't post full size or marketable photos on the web, in a usable size. Just thumbnails and snapshots.

If I find someone linking to and abusing my bandwidth, I've been known to change the photo and leave a nasty "this person steals photos and bandwidth from other sites" JPG in it's place.

I re-write my site so the intended image shows where it was.

Mostly this is for eBay crooks who like to steal images of collectibles and post phony auctions. It's nice to have them look stupid.

Otherwise, it like signing a work of art in the corner. If someone wants to remove a watermark or crop the picture, it's too easy to worry about it.

Yes I use them on some photos, ones that go to free websites, no I don't think it does anything to protect the photo. Who would want to steal this snapshot? :er:

fw06008.jpg

I use it as a photo credit and not to prevent anything. Initials in a little unobtrusive logo.

I don't post full size or marketable photos on the web, in a usable size. Just thumbnails and snapshots.

If I find someone linking to and abusing my bandwidth, I've been known to change the photo and leave a nasty "this person steals photos and bandwidth from other sites" JPG in it's place.

I re-write my site so the intended image shows where it was.

Mostly this is for eBay crooks who like to steal images of collectibles and post phony auctions. It's nice to have them look stupid.

Otherwise, it like signing a work of art in the corner. If someone wants to remove a watermark or crop the picture, it's too easy to worry about it.

Yes I use them on some photos, ones that go to free websites, no I don't think it does anything to protect the photo. Who would want to steal this snapshot? :er:

fw06008.jpg

I think it is a cool picture. I agree with the initials, so I'm not going to do that anymore lol.

I agree watermarking has stopped about 95% of linking to my pictures.

It seems to be a deterant here. I really wouldn't mind if there were an appropriate credit/link back to the page they're snitching from. A couple days ago I found a link to a photo I went through hell-to-pay to get. I wasn't all that great a shot, but much better than my competition's. What did I find?- a link to my competition's site.

To most I'm sure this seems petty and miniscule. But I'll go through and on any given day find 10-20 links into my sites linking 1-3 photos. If a thief site is busy, maybe 200 views a day for that photo(s). This really skews my visitor stats over the period of a month. I can rename the photos (rewrite code) or block referrals from the offending site. I could make up an "asswipe" graphic, but I don't want something like that sitting on my server. I don't work for the internet though. The watermark is my best defence. If visitors don't like them, they can retreat to a perfect world or something. My shots aren't always the best, but they are mine. It's not the point on 'who' would 'want' to steal it?, it is 'it is' being stolen.

I could go on, but this just about gets it off my chest. God bless copyright laws and the DMCA.

whoa- that felt good.

For me I usually put a light watermark on horse images no doubt, because for me it seems like that is the main kind of photos that get taken without your actuall knowledge. Expecially they get taken for SIM games, and Role Playing games, along with Manipulations no doubt. Usually a kid, or possibly a teenager, that doesn't know about copy right laws they'll use your horse images without a question at all and to tell you the truth its horrible to find one of your horse images taken without your permission. So with any horse image whether it be of a horse and rider together, or just a horse, I put a light watermark going across the photo to prevent any sort of thing.

Well thats just my two cents worth, but not because I have experience it yet, but several photos of a girl I know has had plenty of photos taken without her consent to be used. So the solution for her was to put watermarks.

Most reactions

Back