Wax on, Wax off : The Karate kid?

rangerman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
All comments are welcome

:hug::thanks!!!!

4734896277_5666b5420b_b.jpg

4735962410_51cabdb87f_b.jpg

#2 has a more balanced composition than #1. #1 is dark and empty on the left side. The lines from the lights provide an interesting parallel with the curved reflections on the car in #2. However, this image is kind of busy, and the subject does not stand out strongly enough from the background.

The WB seems off as does the color of the car. The blow out on the A Pillar is not attractive and neither is viewing his backside.

If you had taken a shot of his hands actually waxing the car, say like the hood/bonnet, it would have been much more interesting.

867807095_9y5Ze-XL.jpg

867807056_sw3xU-XL.jpg

Sorry, couldn't help myself. I'll take care of that for you. :whip:

Last edited:
Teehee :biglaugh:, Kundalini! Good one! Heehee.

As to the ones of the OP ... the first would be classified as "blooper" in my book, as it has signs of shake, several blown areas - including his face! - and is an odd colour.

OK, they're both odd colours, and if you set your white balance to strip lights and this is the result, and you were not shooting RAW, you might have to live with it.

But apart from that, the second is nicer. It is sharper (no shake) and the light dynamics look better all in all.

But Kundalini is right: to see his back (he even said "backside") isn't the most attractive, and he's not doing anything...

Every shot this guy's posted looks odd colourwise to me, all seem to be shot under tube flouro lights, which do give a greeny/cyan cast but I think he's underexposing and/or at high iso which is making for the grainy look, none of these symptoms are endearing me to any of the shots.

Please state camera model/ISO/WB settings, whether you have calibrated your screen/workflow/PS or whatever, something in the chain is set wrong. H

PS. I've gone back over your postings Ranger, every shot you submit is overprocessed in your image editing program, either oversharpened, oversaturated or whatever, have you heard the saying, "less is more" if not then I suggest you test this out. Pics from camera, levels adjust, WB if needed, no dodgy blur, sharpen and saturate 25-30%, if it looks too much slide it back off, look for things like skin colour, colours in places they shouldn't be, like green sheens in blacks, yellows/blues/magentas in whites etc, when you think you have a keeper post it up and stop bumping posts after ten minutes.

Last edited:
before waxing I did not notice the dent, after waxing I see the dent as clearly as the sun.

rims have areas of blown highlights, probably from flash. ambient lights would be better IMHO.

Photos are special edit, that's why the colors are such,

cross-processing is an example, I tweaked the hue to lean towards cross-processing.

cross-processing is an example, I tweaked the hue to lean towards cross-processing.

CP is old hat, besides you don't have film/slides so your not actually CP'ing, get the colour right, why on earth would you do this effect on a garage hand anyway, it was a process brought about by a mistake within the fashion industry which caught the eye of some magazine editor who thought it cool, consequently it was used and abused for a number of years till everyone was sick of the effect, you'll not resurrect the process by doing dodgy hues adjustments on submissions here.

I've done CP myself, in the darkroom, hand printing and the best effect is obtained by trying not to introduce artifacts and unnatural colour into the equasion but by removing as much as possible, see this

Harry Bell's Photos | Facebook

CP is old hat, besides you don't have film/slides so your not actually CP'ing, get the colour right, why on earth would you do this effect on a garage hand anyway, it was a process brought about by a mistake within the fashion industry which caught the eye of some magazine editor who thought it cool, consequently it was used and abused for a number of years till everyone was sick of the effect, you'll not resurrect the process by doing dodgy hues adjustments on submissions here.

I've done CP myself, in the darkroom, hand printing and the best effect is obtained by trying not to introduce artifacts and unnatural colour into the equasion but by removing as much as possible, see this

Harry Bell's Photos | Facebook

Thanks, did not know about that fact. :thumbup: will bear in mind.

Most reactions

Back