we should all work for free

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by notelliot, May 30, 2008.

1. notelliot

notelliot TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    i have a part-time job at a photo finishing place, and while it offers a nice discount on almost anything i need, customers don't seem to understand the concept of photography as a profession. more so, copyright.

when someone comes in to scan a watermarked image, i have to say no. not only is it a company policy, but morally i can't reproduce work while cutting out the photographer.

"well, it's a photo of MY daughter" or something similar is what i often hear. "doesn't matter," i say "you didn't take this photo, so you don't own the rights to reproduce it or manipulate. you can purchase the rights from the photographer, or if you have already, you can provide a release form to show it." this is when people get angry, for some reason. i try to explain it from my point of view. it pays my bills. buys my groceries. it's how i survive. it's theft to reproduce an image without consent - i lose money - same as the shoe store next door would if you were to walk away with new shoes you didn't pay for.

i find similar happenings when shooting shows or events. often, i just happen to be there with my camera and, well, i like to take photos so i do. i'm not being paid to be there, just taking photos for personal enjoyment or whatever.
    "we'd love to have a copy of those photos you took on cd!"
    "i'd love for you to pay for them!"
    "why should we pay for them, they're photos of our patrons in our club! plus, we'd be giving you exposure!"
    *gag*
    okay, grease me up, bend me over and aim for penetration.

finally, recently it was brought to my attention that i should be shooting for the passion of shooting, not profit. a musician plays what he feels, a photographer should convey the same sort of thing. i feel that i do shoot because i'm passionate about photography. but i still ain't working for free. ie. my dad LOVES trees. he owns a sawmill where he produces cants for hardwood flooring and structural lumber. he loves doing it, and loves getting paid for it. he gets paid because he has costs or production to cover and salary. easy enough to understand, right?

maybe people just choose not to understand it. what i always what to say is, "you have a camera, right? right. so you can do it yourself." but, that's a whole different can of worms.

we should all work for free. how do you guys feel about that?

2. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    IMO the only photographers that should work for free are wedding photographers.....

I mean.... the equipment only costs 5 - 10 grand.... and you really only need a few years hard experience.... why bother charging the bride and groom when they are already faced with so many other expenses?

Bride and Grooms are typically easy to work and the wedding photographer usually gets a free meal anyways... so whats the point in charging?

3. rmh159

rmh159 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Haha ... I'm hiding in anticipation of the responses this will get from the wedding photographers on here.

4. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    why?:???:...... you don't agree? ^^

5. tedE

tedE TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I agree.

6. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Maybe if they feed you every day for a week and give you some shelter until your next job where the next client can do the same thing. Oh wait they already do when they pay you :p

I'm sure Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel for the love of art, but he wouldn't have finished it in time if he starved to death.

In fact we should all do everything for free, for the good of the people. The government can take everything and divide it amongst the people and we can all be equal. Oh wait...

7. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :popcorn:

8. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    :gun:

Happy Friday ..... :wink:

9. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

I think someone from a club asking to use your images for free to give you exposure actually alot more apropriate than you might think. It is one thing if you have shot for a long time professionally and you don't need etr exposure then yes, sure you should turn them down and be offended that they would even ask. I think if you are just a budding pro who has never or rarely shot for any money then it is not such a crazy thing for them to be asking you for something like this I mean why shouldn't they try it is good for you and good for them so why not you just need to figure out if it is good enough for you but by no means should you be somehow offended. I can completely understand your issue working at a finishing place that is a completely different story and I working at Ritz had to argue with peole on a daily basis for this kind of issue. People don't understand what they are paying for when they buy prints from photographer.

10. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Almost European humour :D

11. Dioboleque

Dioboleque TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know anything about anything, but I will say that I could be one of those people who would say "why can't I, it's mine" about the whole scanning the photos thing. imho, it seems rediculous for any photo studio or photographer to withhold rights to prints which someone paid money for, which are of themselves, family, or personal events. I'm totally ignorant on how it works but I see lots of peeps discussing it on here. Do photographers or studios really expect people to find them YEARS after the fact? That seems unreasonable if it is the case. When it comes to photos an individual has commissioned I would think the rights to those photos would lie with the person who commissioned them and PAID for them. And is it disclosed to people at the time of purchase that they have no right to do with their prints as they please? If this had ever happened to me, I probably would have been mad, but I probably would have just bought a scanner and did it myself.

12. dEARlEADER

dEARlEADER TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    LMAO.......:gun:.. Quick... place your back against mine and we will SLOWLY walk out of this room... if anything moves... shoot it!!!