Weatherproof consumer DSLR?

Bobby Ironsights

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I like my canon rebel t5i, I switched from film and I'm quite impressed actually, particularly with the image stabilization.

But if I could add one thing to it, it'd be weatherproofing. Is there such a thing as an affordable (consumer/prosumer) DSLR that can handle the rain and snow? If so, I'd like to hear tell of such an animal.

I don't know if I would call any of them weather "proof", maybe weather "resistant". No idea on the Canon side, but the Nikon D7100 is weather sealed, though not as heavily as pro bodies. Another thing to consider is the lens, you need pro lenses for weather sealing in most cases.

Pentax, Pentax, Pentax. Their K-50, which retails for ~$525 with an 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens (there are several kits, as well as a body-only option) is sealed, and so is the 18-55 kit lens. I think there are only two DSLRs on their current lineup which aren't sealed: K-500 and the new K-S1.

Olympus has the OM-D E-M5, which I own and use all the time. It now costs $799 body-only, $899 with a 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens and $999 with a 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 lens. It's not entry-level pricing like the Pentax, but it's still under a grand.

Canon only offers weather sealed bodies from the EOS 70D and up, though there are older models that can still be bought (might even still be in production), like the EOS 60D ($699 body-only) and now with the release of the EOS 7D Mark II, the original 7D is also in that category, though it still costs around $1,000 body-only. The 7D's body should be quite a lot more rugged than the 70D / 60D, though.

A similar story goes for Nikon. The D7100 is the cheapest camera in their current lineup that's sealed (and they claim it's sealed to the same degree that the D800 models are), but its predecessor, the D7000 (~$650 body-only) is still sold on Amazon, and is also sealed.

Just remember, they are weather resistant not weather proof. I wouldn't go out in the middle of a storm with any of them.

Canon only offers weather sealed bodies from the EOS 70D and up, though there are older models that can still be bought (might even still be in production), like the EOS 60D ($699 body-only) and now with the release of the EOS 7D Mark II, the original 7D is also in that category, though it still costs around $1,000 body-only. The 7D's body should be quite a lot more rugged than the 70D / 60D, though.

^^This, but I would add that at $1799, the 7D mark II is weather sealed and would be a logical upgrade from the T5i. I say this because only the 70D and the 7D mark ii have newer technology with sensor and processors than the T5i.

All consumer grade DSLRs are weather-resistant.
You can use any DSLR camera for a limited time in the rain.
Nikon Camera Weather Experiences | byThom | Thom Hogan

Weather sealing is more about keeping dust out than keeping water out, but even with weather sealing the camera is only weather-resistant - not water-proof.

After shooting out in the rain you would want to use an absorbent cloth to soak up any moisture on the outside of the camera. Then you put 1 or 2 cups of uncooked rice in a big ziplock bag, set the camera on top of the bag and seal the bag for about 3 days. The rice will absorb any moisture the sopping up missed in the nooks and crannies of the camera.

Or you could buy 1 or 2 packs of these to keep in your camera bag -
OP/TECH USA Rainsleeve - 18-Inch (2-Pack)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you relax your criteria a bit, you could get into the weather-proofed P&S cameras. I got a Canon D10 a few years ago, and it has spend much of its outdoor life either getting dunked (I kayak and practice rolling with it recording stuff), frozen (a few wipeouts while cross-country skiing down hills), dropped (hiking, into rather yucky muck), and generally abused, without any visible damage or deterioration. All the major manufacturers have models that do the same.

Most reactions

Back