Web Design Tip

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by Lensmeister, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Lensmeister

Lensmeister TPF Noob!

This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this EN
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Not 100% on where I should post this but I hope one of the nice kind and lovely admin will move if so required.

When you are looking on the net you often see that annoying little mini toolbar appear on a photo.

[save][Print][Send as email][Open My pictures]

Add this line in to your html code between the <head></head> section and it will not appear anymore !

Code:
    <meta http-equiv="imagetoolbar" content="no" />
    That'll stop people saving the file or sending it or even printing it .... works on my site .. it's on EVERY page images or not ... incase I put one on.

Give it a spin let me know what you think ....
    ----- edit:
    Also on the subject of right mouse click .... I have a javascript if anyone wants a copy.

2. tonesimmons

tonesimmons TPF Noob!

Thanks, I use to have that line but lost it.

3. Unimaxium

Unimaxium TPF Noob!

Northeastern University, originally from Philly
    Photos OK to edit
    But can't someone still just go into the HTML source and find the image URL?

4. woodsac

woodsac TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Unfortunately, there are several ways around it.

I just went to your site, and I am able to right click and save any image on your site!

Those using Firefox will notice that the 'save as' dialog pops up before the 'protected images' dialog. I just click save as and then close your dialog box.

Also, if you drag the warning box so it's positioned over the image, then left click 'ok', continue to hold the left click button down, while it's down, right click and hold the right button down. Now let off of the left click, then the right click. It will close the dialog box and allow your save as to pop up. It's known as the 'clickety-click' trick :er:

You can also simply disable java. With java disabled, my system doesn't know that your system is telling me not to do it? There are some OS's that don't even support java. So it's not a concern for them. And lastly, your script will never disable a screen capture program. Or even the 'print screen' button on the keyboard.

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, or give people ideas. I just think it's important that you know that it can't be stopped. It does discourage some. But what it mainly does...is it upsets visitors! What if I wanted to right click on one of your links and have it open in a new window? Or right click and save the link to your site? It tries to prevent that also :confused: Many people use the right click button just as much as the left click. Most people I know, generally will not return to a site that has the right click disabled.

5. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

I've always found printscreen or viewing your browser cache are a fairly easy way around it as well.

As woodsac says it's important to know that if you're displaying stuff on the internet then it is inherently impossible to control it being copied. Hard watermark things where possible/relevant and make sure you have good copyright notices on every page. Also make sure your pictures aren't big enough to print!

Rob

6. Lensmeister

Lensmeister TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the replies everyone.

I know these are foolproof and anyone that uses the net a lot finds ways reound things, it is main;y to deter the general user pinching photos.

Hope the tip helped people.

7. Dave_D

Dave_D TPF Noob!

I found some great little flash galleries for free by banana album. No more code worries for image protection!

8. Lensmeister

Lensmeister TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Really ?

Can anyone with no experience of flash use it?

9. Dave_D

Dave_D TPF Noob!

Yup. It was pretty self explanitory with the one I used.

10. Lensmeister

Lensmeister TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Any chace of a link to the site to get his gallery ?

11. Cipriano

Cipriano TPF Noob!

Even with flash is not safe, you can always do "PrintScreen"....

12. Dave_D

Dave_D TPF Noob!

So I guess we should all hide our pictures under a rock. If somebody wants something bad enough, they will always find a way. This is simply a means to help honest people stay honest.

The site is a bit different then it was a year ago, but here a link to where I found it.
    http://jalbum.net/