Web site reccomendations

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by roadkill, Jan 26, 2009.

1. roadkill

roadkill TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm starting to do shoots for compensation and I'd like to create a website as a place to display my work and have a point of client contact. Just something overall professional that I can (hopefully) create and maintain myself. Would anyone have any reccomendations?

2. Sarah23

Sarah23 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I've taken a rather minimalist approach. My sight (Link in sigline) is straight hand-coding, and the galleries are produced with a freeware product called jAlbum. I'm not a fan of flash (which is slow, painful to maintain and a bandwidth hog), and don't do enough on-line sales to justify a full-blown e-commerce site.

4. visualpoetry

visualpoetry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    http://www.bludomain.com

That's where mine is from. They do the template and hosting. It's really easy to exit and keep current.. love them.

5. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I've found that SmugMug offers you everything in one place and for a very reasonable price.

You can fully customize your SmugMug account with your own logo, banner, layout, etc. using CSS. They also give you quick tutorials on how to make various changes. If you don't want to mess with things, they have a great menu system where you can custom your page using themes/templates. They have partnered with GoDaddy domains so you can purchase a domain and have it point to your SmugMug account (I did this). They also throw in a free mail account with the domain.

They also give you the ability to control the processing of your images for display (saturation, sharpening, etc.). They also offer color correction services for your prints so they look spot on for your customers.

They offer 3 levels of membership. Right now I'm on tier 2 (heavy user). If you go to the professional version you get tons of cool features like photo ordering, assistant passwords, complete customization of your site, right click protection of images, auto watermarks, and stuff like that. They also do processing of print orders for you and you get to set your own prices.

It's affordable and very well laid out. They got my business!

SmugMug Photo Sharing. Your photos look better here.

You can see my SmugMug site here: inTempus Photography- powered by SmugMug

If you sign up for SmugMug, use this offer code: KAMvZpioBsAvk

You will save $5 on your subscription.

6. modlife

modlife TPF Noob!

bludomain is great - easy to optimize stuff. Actually, I got my splash page on bellasorrisa.com from them - hidden text and all for good SEO.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2009
  7. modlife

modlife TPF Noob!

The cheap way is to build it yourself, although if you're like me you'll never be happy and keep working it.

I just started a series about SEO for photographers' websites - you might want to read even if you buy a ready-made site.

-Josh C

8. clyde01

clyde01 TPF Noob!

bigblackbag.com

easy to use. professional looking. starts at about $250 for a year

9. Jaszek

Jaszek No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I say learn HTML and type it yourself. That's what I did but now its under construction (michalphoto.tk). I think i'll go with a blog this time. not too much things to maintain as with HTML. If you want to see my not so great website that I had before just tell me. Also I found a free host with 50gb of storage and the only ad you get is a link on the bottom of the page that links to the host's page. I can live with that. You can see the link in my website link I provided.

10. ajcstudio

ajcstudio TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i used godaddy.com the have a thing to build your website in a hour or so.... premade layouts 99cents a yr and 5 email accounts also i use printroom.com for the selling of photo's its really a good deal check them out...