website help?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by JimmyJaceyMom, Sep 28, 2007.

1. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Sorry I dont know where to put this.

I checked in the search but I couldnt find any related threads so I will just ask. I know absolutely NOTHIGN about websites and building them and whatnot but I have a lot of free offers from vistaprint for things I won't want to use til spring. I want to to be able to print them now with a website on them but I need to buy the name so that I can be sure I am putting the right site on the cards and stuff.
    SO I just buy the domain at say, godaddy? And then have someone that knows what they are doign make the site with me later? I think i was told that is how it works but I dont want to do it wrong and then have things made with the wrong address on them.

I know this is a silly question but I can figure out the rest, it's just this part I need help with. thanks to anyone that can help me.
    KATHI

2. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ok so I found something in the search that might help me out. It seems that as long as I buy the domain name (from anyone that sells them) I can keep it and then use it with a host when I am ready. Is that right?

3. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Yes! People buy domain names all the time and just park them in case someone else wants them. Kind of annoying really, like ticket scalpers. Any way the upshot is that you don't have to use them just register them and pay for them.

mike

btw, you can get email addresses too and have them directed to an existing account so that it looks like your is up and running (it's also cheaper that way. :))

4. gomexz

gomexz TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    gmail just launched a deal where they will host your email for you for free if you can prove to them that u own the domain. when I set mine up i asked for 10 email address during the sign up and they gvae me 100 with the option to ask for more. A friend of mine is hosting the site for me so i just bought the domain from godaddy. so all i need to do now is get the darn thing live. On a side note one thing that i have found in my day or doing wesites (been doing it now for the better part of 10 years.) is set a date and work hard to get it launced and fuctional by that date. For my new site i set the date of oct 10 and by the looks of things im ahead of sched.

Hope i helped.

If u run into any probs or questions shoot me an email if i dont know the answer i will find it.

contact@ctspfilms.com

5. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks so much you guys! I just purchased the one I wanted on godaddy and it was pretty cheap. Don't know where I will host it, I'll leave that up to whoever helps me with it all.
    Now I can order my materials from vistaprint free with the site name on it that I bought. Cool, caus eI dont plan on using that stuff til spring so I will give myself a deadlinea s suggested to have it running by.
    You were great help guys, thanks.

6. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Wow - I swear I know how to read and write - and type! But looking at that last post of mine it looks like I have been drinking in the afternoons! Sorry about that!

7. Keagle

Keagle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you still ned it I may be able to host you. If not I can find you hosting probably.

8. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Thanks for the help. I bought the name for now and so eventually after I do some looking around to see what works in websites I will get started on the other aspects. I will keep you in mind if that's ok! :)

9. Jeff Colburn

Jeff Colburn TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  10. JimmyJaceyMom

JimmyJaceyMom TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Oh yay! Thanks a lot!

11. TheBrainchildGroup

TheBrainchildGroup TPF Noob!

If you purchase the domain name it's yours! All you have to do is pay the yearly fee and you can keep it for infinity (hopefully), even with no content.

Let me know if you have any further questions, I'll be glad to help.

Sincerely,

Aaron