Website Opinions

Johnboy2978

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.johncountsphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello all. I've been around here for some time now and have thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated the advice and tips that I have received here. I feel that I produce better work as a result of this forum.

I am starting to kick around the idea of trying to make some bucks from my hobby. As a result, I thought it would be appropriate to create a web site so that prospective clients may get an idea of what I can offer. Thanks to the generosity of Ben/Magicmonkey and his gratuitious offer of free webspace, I developed this simple site for this purpose.

I have never created a site before, with the exception of very minor tinkering with posting an album with Angelfire.com, so this isn't very flashy or high tech.

Just wondered if any of you would mind taking the time to take a look and see what you thought.
Thanks for taking the time to check it out:
http://countsphotography.poijoy.com/

Hey the site looks good but I did notice that a couple of the links are covering the pictures.. you may want to go back and fix that..

Hi John,

Firstly I am no expert...

The links are out of alignment and cover some of the pictures.

If you are going to sell these images then...

---There is Nowhere to buy.

---The images in the Galleries are ~100K okay but you give an option to download the images at ~250K so giving them away.

---The site is not secure, notice you are using JALBUM look at the options and disable "right-click" and the download.

---Need a pricing structure and the ability to pay...PayPal???

Do like the about page it is great and the links page too.

Hope this helps, I know it is hard to get some honest help as I have been there.

All the best

As they already have said. Alingment problems. One thing I would do is get rid of the Technical info. Just don't think it needs to be there.

Are the links out of alignment when you maximize the screen? I noticed that when you view the full screen (at least on my end) everything lines up how I had it, but if the screen size is less than full size, it is jumbled around and I don't know how to fix that.

John, I wasn't really setting this up as a print selling site. Primarily just for a site that potential clients could go to and see some of my work and then decide if they want me to do work for them. I am not particulary concerned with people right clicking and copying as a determined person will find a way around anything anyway. Is there an option in JAlbum to disable this? I didn't see it, but could've missed it.

Kevin: what technical info, the exif that is displayed through JAlbum?

Thanks for looking folks!

Even maximized the alignment is still off for me.

Under each image, it tells me camera, shutter speed, resolution, etc. If it is potential clients, I feel you don't want to draw attention from the image with that info.

Edit: The upload is complete and everything seems to work. I disabled right click and download of the higher res enlarged pics. You can still r-click and save the small icon like images, but I really don't care about that.

Not sure about the alignment issue. I did those pages in word and it looks fine when I view it. Would that have something to do with screen resolution, and is there a way to make it automatically adjust?

because of the image on your front page i don't think your going to get a good response from potential clients. In fact, I almost didn't even look at the rest of the site. I think that putting somthing more attractive on the front would help you out a bunch.

Yes, the gallery is quite nice but the front page and the main page need some work...and of course the position of the links needs to be fixed.

If you are serious about attracting business with your web site, consider paying someone to do it for you.

Well, I've uploaded this album about a dozen times now. But alas, I have fixed the ability to download and I just deleted the gallery page altogether. I originally had the default index page provided by JAlbum, but I wanted some small icons for each section and the version of Jalbum I had either didn't have an option for that or I couldn't find it. I got the update, and viola, it can do it. Soooo that issue is fixed.

So you guys don't like the homepage either? That was a favorite image of mine, but I realize it might not be a favorite of others. Anyway, I appreciate the comments and suggestions. I'll look through some of my stuff and see what else I can find. Again, right now at least, this isn't meant to be an e-commerce sight per se.

I love the image one the front page...It's just that...that's all there was. A photo and some out of place links. It need a theme or design.

You guys mind taking another look?

I added a flash intro. This is something that I wanted to do initially, but then decided against it, b/c I figured these days, everyone has their browser automatically set to block just about everything. Therefore, I went for a simpler approach.

I'd appreciate some follow up feedback when you have the time.
Thanks all.

I like the flash intro...but the images look pixelated. I'm sure they are downsized for quick loading but they don't look as good as they could. Or it may be that the images are linked to the size of the browser window...which messes with the size and causes pixelation. If you can lock the size and make it sharper...that would really help.

I'm not digging the plain white background on the front page or the main page. It feels like it needs a background color with borders and stuff like that.

The images are great, that's what's important...but proper presentation will really help.

Yeah Mike, the flash pics are somewhat pixelated which is from trying to scale down the size and keep it loading quicker. It's kind of a trade off I guess. I'll keep looking at it.

The Flash file does take sometime to load but it is a good intro.

What did you use to write the homepage the one after the intro...

Looked at it but I could only open it in "Word" I use Front Page.

Do you set your page out in a table if not it maybe the reason things look different and the links are messed up. Try a table layout 2 Cols x 6 Rows, set the table to float in the centre, merge all your left hand cols for the picture and put the links in the right hand side.

John

Most reactions

Back