Website/webhosting

M-O-S

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok

In order to start a website, you need to find a webhosting, and pay for it, right?

In order to pay for it, you need a paypal, right.....

I was thinking, can you pay it through your local webhosting company?

Or are there any best ways to start a legit website....

Blah, why does it have to be so hard to start a site, lol

In the old days of local ISPs I had my dial-up provider host my website. But now that hosting companies are a dime-a-dozen that might be pricey compared to what else is out there.

If you're not interested in your own domain name (www.you.com) you should check with your service provider to see what's available to you. I think Comcast gives its users something like 25 megs to play with (http://home.comcast.net/~you) - that's not a whole lot of space for a photo site but it's a start.

You can use a hosting company (I use www.lonex.com) and get a lot of space and pay by credit card online without talking to a real person, which is the way I like to do business.

It's not hard, but for the first-timer you have stuff you need to know, just like the first time you started playing with manual settings on a camera. That's where we come in - you have questions, there's bound to be someone here who's already done it before and can point you in the right direction.

Ok

In order to start a website, you need to find a webhosting,
Yes, jsut like in order to drive you need a car.
and pay for it, right?
No, there are free hosts out there. But you have to be careful as you can get what you pay for - nothing. Some hosts fail and vanish with no warning, some give you very few options such as no mysql or even php, some put adverts all over your site. But some paid hosting can do the same. Like insurance, you never know what you're getting until you've already paid for it. Scary. :shock:

I have free hosting and although the site went down for a while over Christmas I'm happy with the service. They went down because they were hacked and also because one of their servers failed and over Christmas the people they were paying to host their hosting wouldn't help them.

To get a domain name you will probably have to pay. I wouldn't go anywhere which says they'll give you one for free as personally I'd never trust them. And they can be cheap enough anyway. My .co.uk is £7.50 for two years and I own it, no-one else.

http://www.freewebspace.net/
is an ok resource for free hosting. But nothing more than that. Some entries in their database are old and/or incorrect.

No. Some may allow you to pay by paypal. Some will let you pay by credit card. Some will let you pay by cheque. It's all down to the hoster and how they want to recieve money. And if you cna't pay by the way they demand and you really want hosting with them then e-mail and ask if they have any other options. You never know...

I don't understand.

It depends what you want. I can knock you up a very simple html only site within 10 mins. It will look basic becuase it'll have no images but it'll function and still look better than some people who have a degree in coding. :mrgreen: Many others will be able to do the same and better.

Think about what you want on your site, sketch a layout so you know what you want it to look like, talk to people and discuss what you want on the site and get feedback on what you'd need and then seek a host.

wrong.

I never met any serious webhosting company which would force me to pay via paypal. In my case, and I am with two different webhosting companies, I get the money directly taken from my bank account every 6 months.

You won't need paypal, just a credit card. Actually, if you're going to have your own domain, the first thing you're going to need is a domain name. I personally use godaddy, but there are many options for that as well. If you buy a domain from one of the larger registrars, they'll probably offer you hosting options. I'd look at independent options first to get a comparison and see how their deal looks compared to what you already researched.

Thank you all for your responses and words.

Well, I believe I do have the reason of why I need to start a website and I have some knowledge of html, especially with slicing and coding. I will show you when it will be up. It's sort of like a community site, the biggest involvement is having a bulletin board on it.

The thing I'm not sure about is what about these frauds, scams, and stuff like that....

@ ferny, I meant that if you could get a hosting through your local webhosting company.

Perhaps I just wish I had a partner to help me out or somethin'.

I have always used godaddy for all my sites and they have worked wonderfully for me. I would suggest checking them out

@ ferny, I meant that if you could get a hosting through your local webhosting company.

I think this is just what none of us understands.. what is a local webhosting company??

as for frauds and scams, just go for the big and accepted ones, and don't try dubious small webhosting companies. then you are safe.

Check out godaddy.com for domain names - and I've been thrilled with IXwebhosting for hosting... used them for years.

I think this is just what none of us understands.. what is a local webhosting company??

as for frauds and scams, just go for the big and accepted ones, and don't try dubious small webhosting companies. then you are safe.

Local means in your area......in YOUR CITY, lol...

Thanks for the recommendations

edit: OK, I'm seriously in need of a partner, anybody wish to help? Would be very much appreciated........

Local means in your area......in YOUR CITY, lol...

Thanks for the recommendations

edit: OK, I'm seriously in need of a partner, anybody wish to help? Would be very much appreciated........

oh, ok, but there are only 3 up to 10 serious webhosting companies per medium sized country, so you can calculated your chances that any of those is located in your town/city.... chances are very low. Even if they had their servers localised in your city, you would register to it online most likely since they won't have any walk-in office. You have to accept that on the internet "buy local!" makes no sense most of the time ;)

I am with 1und1 the German branch of 1and1, and with 1blu, a German company as well ... both not at all local for me though.

OK, I'm seriously in need of a partner, anybody wish to help? Would be very much appreciated........

help with what?

- coding an HTML / PHP webpage ?
- arranging things with a webhosting company (trivial usually) ?
- anything else ?

or everything? being more specific here might help people to decide if they are willing to help :)

Oh

Well, I need help on how to set up a website and domain, i mean damn, to be honest I've never owned a .com or/and a legit webhosting before

Only free. Or maybe i'm just too scared and paranoid, lmfao..

I guess I should send money by mail to webhosting company and they'll set me up......

Ok

In order to start a website, you need to find a webhosting, and pay for it, right?

Actually, I found it remarkably simple to create my own website. Here it is: http://ronunna.googlepages.com/home

Granted, it isn’t the most sophisticated site but it is free! It took me about 20 minutes to create the basic layout for the site on ‘Google Page Creator’ and I linked that up to my online web album on ‘Picasa Web Albums’ (another free service from the home of Google). I have been playing around with it and improving it since. For the time being it serves the purpose of showcasing my photography just fine. Since I am an amateur with no commercial aspirations (in photography!), the sole purpose of this site is to display my pictures to family and friends, and anyone else who might be interested…

Jzero

Most reactions

Back