Wedding Advice *Not trying to be a pro*

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Silverback, Oct 30, 2008.

1. Silverback

Silverback TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi all,
    Sorry for the long story to follow but I don't want anyone to get confused about my intentions or my roll in an upcoming wedding.

Back Story
    A few months ago a good friend asked me to do the photography at her wedding.
    I said no and explained that while I would like to give it a go, I wasn't confident enough that I would be able to do the job well and get them the photos they deserved.
    So, as a wedding present a few of us clubbed together and hired a pro for them.
    We couldn't afford to hire the tog for the entire day so we just got one to cover the service.

As an additional "gift" I have said that I will take some photos of the bride getting ready in the morning and then some candid shots at the party on the night.

I have been honest with the couple and explained that I have never done anything like this before but if any of the photos turn out to be good, they are free to have them.

Help needed
    So, all that being said, I am after any advice/tips anyone can offer for the day.

My kit for the day will include:
    Canon 400D (xti)
    Canon 70-200mm F2.8 USM IS L
    Canon 50mm F1.8
    Canon 18-55mm F3.5 - 5.6 (kit lens)
    Sigma DG 500 Flash + Diffuser (can be off camera via cable)
    Loads of batteries[FONT=&quot][/FONT] and memory cards

Cheers in advance for your help folks.

2. chrisburke

chrisburke TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i'd just like to say CONGRATS, your the first beginner that I've seen on here who was willing to put his pride aside and say "i'm not good enough to do that" YOU ROCK!! My main suggestion is just to practice.. get your friends together, and test things out.. learn about bounicing your flash to get nice lighting... another suggestion is to go to flickr, do a search for wedding photography, and have a look at what other people are posting, it will give you ideas on what to shoot in the prep of the wedding, and also, depending on the photographer and what they have posted, their exif data may be there, which will teach you what settings they were using... flickr was a great thing for me when I first started off... yes, I was stealing peoples poses, but, I was learning... after doing that for a few months, I was able to set up poses myself.. its great

3. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As you'll probably want to enjoy the wedding yourself I'd take only the camera and the 70-200 & 50mm +flash, do candids and guests with the 70-200 while the pro shoots this should last to a cutting the cake shot, (normal basic package) stick your 50 on and get everyone enjoying the day, speeches, meal, kids, B&G interacting with guests, pretty girls/BM's etc, finish off with rear curtain sync, slow shutter 1/15 - 1/30 on first dance and a couple of quickies for good measure, lock your gear away and enjoy yourself. H

4. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

God, how I wish more people had your attitude!!! Something I prepared a while back:

http://jerryphpics.blogspot.com/2008/06/000-intro-to-weddings-for-beginners.html

It's not complete, but at least may offer you a couple of ideas.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  5. Silverback

Silverback TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Cheers guys,
    Really appreciate the advice and Jerry, that is a cracking blog. Thanks.

Cheers Flash Harry, will remember that for the big day.
    Cheers Chrisburk, maybe one day I will give it a go but not for a while yet.
    Cheers for the advice

6. Alleh Lindquist

Alleh Lindquist TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you can find out what your lighting conditions will be you can practice a few different shooting options that will give decent results before hand allowing you more freedom to shoot images rather than figure out what camera settings you need.

7. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for admitting that. I'm sure you also ask for directions when lost too :)

I bet they will respect you more of a photographer and friend now that you have told them this.

~Michael~

8. Silverback

Silverback TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Good advice cheers.
    The entire event is being held at a local hotel.
    I think I am going to have to practice using the flash because the room doesn't get a lot of natural light.
    It's on December 27th and at best, the weather will be very cold.

It's something that I am interested in learning so the last thing I want is to be know as the guy that screwed up someones wedding trying to run before I can walk!

9. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'd also visit the place the week before at around the same time the wedding will be at to source your shoot locations and see how the light will be for the actual shoot, I do this with every wedding. H

10. Silverback

Silverback TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Cheers Flash,
    Hadn't thought of doing that so I will keep that in mind