TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.markcarpenter.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Matt's post of his blooper masterpieces got me thinking about this one:

Waiting.sized.jpg

It was before I moved the focus from the shutter button to the asterisk on my EOS 5. My finger must have slipped while holding the shutter half-way and recomposing, so the camera refocused on the back wall. Considering the exposure on the faces was off anyway, I think it was for the best.

Disregarding the happy accident, what do you think of it as an image? Does it work for you?

Out of focus or not I like it. The silhouetted faces are a perfect frame and the wedding dress totally tells the story. With nothing but the obvious shapes being visible you can make up all sorts of senarios in your head and apply them to yourself if you were there.

Is it before she walked down the aisle? After? Is she happy, nervous, or scared to death? Who knows? Who cares? It's an awsome picture that I can make up my own scenario......... It's a story picture..........

"Blooper" or not, this one's great.
Only thing that I would try to crop is the silhouetted face on the left. I love the profile on the right which contrasts with the veil - and the bride in the veil! Well, she'll never - unless it were for this "blooper" - get another picture of herself with so much veil, in the sense of the veil really "veiling" her. "Secretive" was the adjective used by someone else before, and that's what I felt at once, too.

If you tried to crop out the face on the left, the shifted focus might even no longer become so obvious and the photo may appear "just like you had wanted it from the start", maybe???

Thanks for the suggestion. I always like to know how others look at things.

I think part of the reason it works for me is the framing of the two profiles on either end. It's seems unbalanced to me if I take out the one on the left. I do wish the spacing was a bit better between the bride and the face on the right.

I'll let that one roll around in my head a while.

I took this when I was assisting for a friend (holding the flash). There were times when he had the lighting stand-mounted, so I was free to roam with my own camera. The others are here.

That last one is at my brother's wedding, which I was in. Made it tough to take pictures. ;)

at first i was gonna disagree- don't crop. then i went back and covered the screen, cropping out the two foreground silhouttes, and i think maybe that would improve what i think is already a great "happy accident."

i agree with all of the above sentiment re: the story-telling aspect of this photo...

cool shot, dude!

Your pictures are great! If I get married you would be on my list of photographers ;). Heck.. maybe I'll just invite the whole forum and tell you all that you can't come in unless you bring your camera;). Section of the first two or three rows for you all and let you have fun. :D.

It sure would be but.... seeing as I don't even really have a boyfriend right now and won't be in a good position to even think about marriage for about 4 more years, it could be a while. ;)

markc said:
Oh, man! That would be a blast! I love seeing how different people can get completely different images of the same subjects.

markc said:
karissa said:
seeing as I don't even really have a boyfriend right now
Oh, jeesh. You're really a glutton for punishment, aren't you?

MD, etc., what she meant to say is that she's dating a linebacker named "Crusher" Murphy.

Oh... um... yeah... Mark is right.. I uh.. forgot that... well you see.. we started dating.. um.. yesterday and.. uh.. I just haven't gotten used to err... saying that I have a boyfriend... yeah.. yeah.. that’s it. :mrgreen: :scratch:

I think its a great pic...its kinda creepy. Not what wedding photos are "supposed" to be.
Its got something really intriguing about it...

manda said:
I think its a great pic...its kinda creepy. Not what wedding photos are "supposed" to be.
Its got something really intriguing about it...
Thanks, manda. Yeah, that "creepy" is something I like to have in my work. I like the combination of nice-to-look-at and yet unsettling.

Most reactions

Back