Wedding evenings

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Artemis, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Artemis

Artemis Just Punked Himself

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well...my boss is thinking about leaving me in the evenings to do like the speeches and meal by myself...I am sooooo excited...he really likes me pictures I have done for the other weddings and has said that theres nothing that really needs perfecting...and even said something about "When" im out doing my own they may not be right....but that means he may be considering sending me out on my own.

Simply...could people give me any advice, or show me any pictures of the meal/entertainment/speeches so that if he does leave me off on my own, im able to get the best damn images (as I know you guys will have) for him.

Thanks in advance weddings gurus! :hail::hail::hail:

2. Artemis

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Anything anyone? just maybe some example pics of the last dance and such would be great!

3. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Here are some examples, but really I would spend some time with the photographer who is training you and look through his work.

Wedding 1 - Reception photos start on page 6

Wedding 2 - reception photos on page 6

I'll be honest here, I find the reception photos the most technically difficult. Lighting is usually dim and you've got to make the choice of using a powerful flash or shooting in natural low light and working with the grain. The action goes from standstill during the dinner to frantic as people start to move to the dancefloor. This is often when you're going to get the bride and groom at their happiest, watch for the emotions! The type of photos that I take vary with each client. Some don't mind my being right there near them to get the shots, others prefer that I stand further back and not really be seen. Styles also vary by location, what is popular here in the US may not be the choice of couples in the UK. Do searches for wedding photograhers in your area and view their portfolios.

4. Artemis

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for the tips Alison, and those images are brilliant.
    Ill take your advice, ohh photoshop guru...:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Shooting the reception can be lots of fun, I don't think there is as much pressure on the photographer as there is during the ceremony & formals.

In most places I've been, flash is a must. If I had a flash bracket, I'd use it but having a good shoe mounted flash is a minimum to reduce any red eye.

To keep things simple, I usually shoot in manual mode with the aperture set to match the flash unit (or slightly different to get more/less flash exposure). Then I set the shutter speed according to how much ambient / background exposure I want. If I want to get the background in the shot, I shoot around 1/20 or 1/30 (or slower if conditions allow). If I want to isolate the subject & really freeze the action, I shoot at 1/125 (or as fast as the sync speed will allow).

It helps to be on top of things and know what's going on. Talk to the MC or band leader so that you are not surprised when any of the big events happen. Speeches, cutting the cake, bouquet & garter toss, first dance etc. There are a few must have shots but (for me) it's been mostly getting fun shots to capture the fun mood of the night.

6. Alison

Alison Swiss Army Friend Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    That's a great tip! We always talk to the DJ right when we get there, typically when we are taking shots of the room & decorations. The DJ and photographer are usually seated at the same table so we can outline the night. Also, DJs and wedding planners can be a great source of future referrals.

7. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

Really?!! DJs drive me crazy! I stay as FAR AWAY from them as possible. I always cringe when I walk into a reception and find a DJ. They have caused me more grief than anything else at weddings. When I find a DJ presiding over a wedding reception, I know it's time to raise the prices. Last month, the jerk made it virtually impossible for me to work. I found myself waiting for him to shut up so I could continue. Aughhhhhhhhhh!

Thanks... I needed to vent.