Wedding Expo! Booth?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,

So I'm doing the Richmond Wedding Experience Expo. It's kinda scary (expensive), but if I can be successful, it could really jumpstart my business. Main thing I'm doing now is planning my booth, and I need to order in the next day or so, since the expo is on the 7th.

I would love some advice or ideas from other people who've done an expo. General tips are appreciated, as is feedback on my booth designs, pictured below.

This was my first design, going for more of a rustic look. Wooden benches, wooden folding panels for my backdrop.

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 2.42.36 AM.jpg

However, I realized my space would be cramped. It's a 6x8 booth. 6 feet deep, and 8 across. But I could take the table out and make it work. These are mostly drawn to scale.

And here is my second design, more of a modern look. White stuff.

Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 2.42.44 AM.jpg

I've had some friends tell me the first one seems more inviting, but I also feel like my work doesn't really jive with the rustic style as much as the modern style.

TYVM!

One extreme or the other? The wood is a bit rustic and the white plastic a bit sterile. Why not something more in the middle?

I've had some friends tell me the first one seems more inviting, but I also feel like my work doesn't really jive with the rustic style as much as the modern style.
You should probably match your booth style to your photography style.

Nothing spells disappointment like a bride wanting "rustic" and getting "modern".

Sell it like it is, or change "it" to be what sells.

Good luck!

At least in my area, rustic seems to be what’s in style right now. The more popular wedding venues currently seem to be barns and older buildings.

Can’t speak for your locale, however. And if your photography doesn’t match the rustic vibe then maybe rustic isn’t the best idea.

One extreme or the other? The wood is a bit rustic and the white plastic a bit sterile. Why not something more in the middle?

Any suggestions?

A small loveseat for couples to sit and view your portfolio? Instead of a hard bench or sterile white chairs? Maybe a separate small sitting area with a few chairs and a table for price/booking discussions?

A small loveseat for couples to sit and view your portfolio? Instead of a hard bench or sterile white chairs? Maybe a separate small sitting area with a few chairs and a table for price/booking discussions?

I like your ideas but unfortunately my booth isn't large enough for all that.

Having worked a ton of equipment shows in years past, I can tell you that a 6x8 space is not going to attract anyone in. You would be far better off to use your back wall and whatever sidewalls they give you for display. Move your table to the front edge, and load that sucker up with literature, business cards, giveaways, etc. Register for free wedding planner book, (or, whatever), something to qualify the traffic, an give you a ton of leads. I would be willing to bet that 99% of the traffic will never step out of the isle into your booth. You just need to slow them down long enough to see you. You didn't say how many people will be working your booth, but you'd be better off to invite a prospective client to meet you outside the booth (break areas, restaurant, or future appointment), then to ignore the traffic moving by.

It's a 6x8 booth. 6 feet deep, and 8 across

A small loveseat

I like your ideas but unfortunately my booth isn't large enough for all that.

Your booth is plenty big for a loveseat.

Sure; if that’s all you want to have.

With a loveseat you can only talk to one couple at a time.

A wedding expo is about numbers, not extended conversation. Get your literature out there and collect email addresses by giving away something via email.

Use the leads to book couples after the show. Get your follow ups out as fast as possible after the show.

With a loveseat you can only talk to one couple at a time.

I disagree, there is still room for others.

I'm not saying thats what I would do I'm just saying yes there is plenty of room for it.

If it’s big enough for 2 benches and a table it must be. You asked for opinions on your two alternatives so that’s what I gave. I think smoke gave you some great advice above.

All of the shows I've been to as an exhibitor there were strict rules about exceeding your space. Assuming you use a standard 6' folding table, they're 30" wide, minus the width of your background, now your down to only roughly 2-1/2' of actual floor space on depth. You could use a 4' folding table which generally run smaller at 24" wide, but that still doesn't gain you much. Even if you take out the table and everything else you're roughly 5' x 7' actual working floor space. We generally assumed a minimum of 4' for personal space between us and the customer while talking to them in our booth, any less and you were invading their personal space, making them uncomfortable. If they're uncomfortable they aren't listening to you. Now when you put a table at the front, and work from behind it, you've accomplished two things - 1.It becomes a mental safety barrier for them, allowing you to work closer without making them feel uncomfortable, 2. You effectively increased the floor space of your booth out into the isle. Just my thoughts from the past. One other thing, extremely important, - "wear comfortable shoes". Just the memory of all that standing made my back hurt.

For what it’s worth, we found our wedding photographer at an expo.

(He was pretty crappy in the end...but that’s on us, not him. Our whole wedding cost less than some of the photographers rates there, haha).

For what it’s worth, we found our wedding photographer at an expo.

(He was pretty crappy in the end...but that’s on us, not him. Our whole wedding cost less than some of the photographers rates there, haha).

And what made you decide to go with that photographer? What drew you to their booth?

All of the shows I've been to as an exhibitor there were strict rules about exceeding your space. Assuming you use a standard 6' folding table, they're 30" wide, minus the width of your background, now your down to only roughly 2-1/2' of actual floor space on depth. You could use a 4' folding table which generally run smaller at 24" wide, but that still doesn't gain you much. Even if you take out the table and everything else you're roughly 5' x 7' actual working floor space. We generally assumed a minimum of 4' for personal space between us and the customer while talking to them in our booth, any less and you were invading their personal space, making them uncomfortable. If they're uncomfortable they aren't listening to you. Now when you put a table at the front, and work from behind it, you've accomplished two things - 1.It becomes a mental safety barrier for them, allowing you to work closer without making them feel uncomfortable, 2. You effectively increased the floor space of your booth out into the isle. Just my thoughts from the past. One other thing, extremely important, - "wear comfortable shoes". Just the memory of all that standing made my back hurt.

My only fear about a booth like that is that it would appear very salesman like. My idea is to stand at the front of my booth with an easel holding one of my photos and to engage people as they walk by. And then if the conversations goes well, invite them to sit down and look through some photo albums, etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back