Wedding Help

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by kimberlina, Jul 18, 2007.

1. kimberlina

kimberlina TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I'm a hobby photographer and my friend has asked me to do her wedding in October. I'm desperately afraid that I will ruin her pictures because there is so much I don't know. Is there any technical advice you guys can give me?

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

The standard advice to someone in your position is to politely decline. A wedding is supposed to be a once in a lifetime event and recording those memories should be a high priority. It wouldn't be wise to ask a hobby pilot to fly a 747...and the same could be said for wedding photography.

You might offer to shoot a lot of stuff at her wedding, but suggest she hire a professional for the most important parts (usually the ceremony and formals).

That being said, a lot of people don't want to spend money for a professional photographer and would otherwise go without. If your friend truly understands your skill level and has reasonable expectations, the this might be a great opportunity for you to try your hand at wedding photography.

It should be said that the photographer is much more important than the gear they use...but having good equipment is certainly a good start. What do you shoot with?

As this is an event, you would need to be prepared for Murphy's Law and be able to get the job done. This means having backup equipment with you. At least two cameras, two flash units, lenses etc. Plenty of batteries and [film or memory cards] would be a good idea as well.

3. hudsonp

hudsonp TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    see if you can visit the church where she is getting married, and practice shooting in there so you can test lighting ect, look at as many wedding pictures as you can to get ideas, write them down and make sure to find out what the couple wants

4. ERS1121

ERS1121 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have been in your shoes before. The best way to lose a friend is to photograph their wedding. Even if they are aware of your skill level there may be some hard feelings if things don't come out great.
    Ed

5. Southerngal

Southerngal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I shot my first wedding a few weeks ago, and it was a little stressful/overwhelming. At the same time I feel that I learned a lot.

Be prepared! Know exactly what the bride wants....what type of pics...who/what she wants pics of.....what is special to her. Look at the work of others and record any poses etc. that you think she will love. Definitely try and check out the venue.....indoor lighting is a big issue. You will need speed in your camera to capture those pics.

For me, doing outside shots in the shade for the formal shots before and after the wedding was my best bet. You dont have to worry so much about the lighting.

And take several pics.....you want to have a lot to choose from.

And inform your friend (be completely honest) of your skill level and your fear of ruining her wedding. If she still wants you to do it, I would.

6. CrazyAva

CrazyAva TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This is what I am saying. I have been doing photography for 15 years and wedding photography for 5 and I still don't like shooting friends weddings for fear of something going wrong and them hating me forever :lol: I do it though because they pay me and it is my job, but as a non professional, I would seriously consider trying to get your friend to hire a professional and then on her wedding day, without getting in the way of the professional, try and capture some candids from your point of view as a friend. It would be good practice and also she might cherish them because it's from a more personal point of view.

If she insists on not hiring a professional, then I say go for it but make it perfectly clear you are NOT professional and really aren't sure of what you are doing and are going to just try and capture some pictures for her to remember the day, nothing fancy and then use it as practice.

7. snownow

snownow TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ava, are you ever looking for second shooters? I have always wanted to take a crack at it but, would not do it on my own.