Wedding on Film

I've got no clue on weddings, but I can say that I've found that there are certain nuances of any piece of new equipment that usually takes me a bit to gel with before I'm truly comfortable. For example, if I get a new lens, yes I can absolutely make it work, but I don't find that I can really hit the sweet-spot on it until after I've used it for a month or so.

I would kind of assume that the move from film to digital would be similar... there certainly are differences in the mediums from what I've seen... different grains, different qualities to the colors, etc.

So, for me, while it probably makes sense to embrace digital in a real way at some point, it seems like maybe doing it for the wedding isn't the best plan as you would likely be "at your best" with what you are more personally familiar with.

Just my opinion.... 'course, I think I'm on your ignore list anyway so you probably won't see this. :)

Alpha. I seen couple of your photos before and read some comments you made in the forum in the past. I have no doubt on your ability on both film or digital photography.

Me, as a photography beginner, all I want to say is use what you feel best for the job. No need to worry what other people think.

Well I just did my first 'film' wedding. 35mm with Portra 160NC and 400NC (a couple of rolls pushed to ISO800). The whole idea of using film with or without flash never phased me but not knowing the results there and then leaves a hell of a lot of apprehension. The only sucker is having to change film, running out at a critical moment, so you've always got to think a roll ahead - Other than that I loved using film.

The advantages of digital though does make life a hell of a lot easier and allows you to be more creative with lighting. Not having to change 'film' every 36~ clicks. Making sure you got that shot of the bride spinning on the dancefloor etc.

I think my next one will be digital though - Time to save for those D700's :(

Alpha, what's the deal? The only differences between film and digi is that you don't have to reload as often and it's cheaper with digi.

OK, you really wouldn't want to blow up a 35mm to 30X40 but if you are going to use a 645 it won't matter anyway.

I don't know what kind of flashes you have but if you can find a Metz 60 CT4 to play with (yes, on a stand with a modded cactus trigger and into an umbrella or just bounced). The auto function on a Metz is just amazing, even though they are all older now (unless you want to pony up for a new one -very expensive-) so you may have to play with one to find if it's a little hot or cold (borrowing a digi here is a good thing) but it will be the same every time for every aperture setting. You can even have the front pointed to the subject and the head pointed back into an umbrella and use the auto (so long as you are in it's range of course). You can even use the frame that come's with it for on camera and get the SCA for TTL!

Heck, you could even use this opportunity to get an extra back. :)

I say go for it!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back