Wedding Photographer

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by PastTheFuture, Aug 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PastTheFuture

PastTheFuture TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Alright, so my aunt wants me to be the photographer at her wedding. There's not a set date yet, so I've still got some time, but there's one minor problem... I have never shot a wedding. I haven't even done portraits yet. At the time, I agreed to do it, but then I got to thinking... I don't want to screw up her wedding photos because I don't really know what I'm doing. I told her this and that I'd be willing to be a secondary photographer but I don't want to be THE photographer. She seemed kind of disappointed though... So I'm asking your thoughts on the matter. Do you think I should go for it? If not, what could I tell her to convince her that I'm not the best one for the job? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

PS: My equipment is located in my signature.

2. Crazydad

Crazydad No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Tell her to hire a pro, that you are not ready for something like that. And you do not have the proper eguipment like lighting, pro quality lenses, experience, etc. Break your arm so you can't do it, whatever it takes.

3. musicaleCA

musicaleCA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    This should work just like sales and marketing, but in reverse. Sell benefits, not features. In this case, don't go on and on about how you don't have the equipment. Tell them you don't have the experience and/or knowledge necessary to do it.

Plus, she's a close relative. You don't want to be under all that stress and pressure when the rest of the family is having a good time, right?

4. PastTheFuture

PastTheFuture TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's what I tried to tell her. Personally, I don't think lighting and such are a necessity. The last wedding I went to (my cousin's), the photographer used natural lighting. But I agree, I don't feel ready for it.

5. camz

camz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well that statement alone sums it all. You shouldn't cover a wedding if you absolutely don't know what your doing. Trust me..it takes alot of experience and knowledge to get it right. It's a different story if they weren't going to hire a professional photographer and you were willing to help out. However, if hiring a pro is an option for the couple then by all means do them a favor and turn this down.

6. PastTheFuture

PastTheFuture TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well they never mentioned that a professional was an option or not. Honestly, they could probably more than afford it. Anyways, what I'm really looking for is a way to decline the job but without disappointing her.

7. camz

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Tell her that you know al photographer who has spoken to many clients before that one of the biggest regrets people have on their wedding day is not hiring a good professional photographer. And I truly know so many couples that have regreted with a passion. Tell her to think long term on this one...

8. PastTheFuture

PastTheFuture TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks camz.

She did tell me that it really didn't matter because this is her third wedding, but it's still a wedding. Weddings are not to be taken lightly.

9. camz

Photos NOT OK to edit
    LOL..didn't mean to push the issue just didn't want her to regret. Given the situation there's a flipside to this and maybe an oppurtunity for you.

Were you looking into being a wedding photographer yourself?

10. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    YOU try walking into a dark church or reception hall with VERY low lighting and try taking a picture of a moving/dancing person without that flash... come back and tell us how it went. ;)

I am not saying all places are lit like this... but so far in the last half-dozen weddings that I have done, the reception halls were all very close to this... using a pro level camera, pro level lens and I was *still* forced to use ISO 6400, F/2.8 and 1/80th shutter speeds were all that I could muster without my off camera flashes. You *know* I turned on the remote speedlights after this! Most churches are well lit during the day... so I can get away with F/2.8-F/4, ISO 800-1600 and 1/60th-1/100th shutter speeds.
    [​IMG]
    Also, THIS is something I think you should read.

If you care for her... you will help her by finding a pro instead of trying to shoot it yourself... yeah, it really *is* that challenging... to do right. ;) :)

11. PastTheFuture

PastTheFuture TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I should tell her to get the one that did her daughter's wedding. The lady was pushy but she got it done :p

12. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You don't have to settle for a pushy, bad or unprofessional photographer, there are plenty of good photographers out there that offer reasonable prices. All it takes is a little research.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.