zendianah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.zenphotos.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,
I will be shooting my first wedding this weekend. I need advice on what to wear. Its a 10:30am wedding.
Right now I have a nice pair of Khaki dress pants from The Bannana Republic and a white dress shirt. I wont be wearing a skirt.
Any suggestions? Should I wear black slacks and a white shirt?
Thanks
Dianah

Elysaapet any suggestions? Youve been doing this for awhile. What do you usually wear?

I try to blend in. For me that means semi formal wear. Usually a sports jacket, long pants, and a tie. Look like a guest with a nice camera

Never photographed a wedding, but did have a wedding photographer! My wedding was fairly formal on a Saturday evening and the photographer and his assistant dressed formally (black slacks, tie, vest). I appreciated how the blended in. So I say just be sure to blend. No shame in asking the bride what she expects!

I dress according to the wedding. One wedding was casual and outside on a HOT day. I wore black pants and white sleeveless and was better dressed than some of the guests. Last wedding, same black pants but with a pink top. Your best bet is black pants for dressier weddings, kahkis for more casual weddings (gardens, beach, etc) and a nice shirt. Make sure the shirt will let you move freely without popping out and the pants are loose enough for you to crouch down without worrying about split seams and the like.

It's always best to do your best to blend in. Dress as if you're a guest but also dress for free movement and pockets for memory cards, etc.

I dress according to the wedding. One wedding was casual and outside on a HOT day. I wore black pants and white sleeveless and was better dressed than some of the guests. Last wedding, same black pants but with a pink top. Your best bet is black pants for dressier weddings, kahkis for more casual weddings (gardens, beach, etc) and a nice shirt. Make sure the shirt will let you move freely without popping out and the pants are loose enough for you to crouch down without worrying about split seams and the like.

It's always best to do your best to blend in. Dress as if you're a guest but also dress for free movement and pockets for memory cards, etc.
I have to agree with this. You need to dress according to the venue and the customers. There are weddings where the photographers go so far as to wear a tux so you really need to cater your dress to the particular wedding.

...all black. Black tie, shirt, pants, socks, shoes, belt, bags.

I blend in to shadows and am not noticeable. I can even stand with the groom during the procession and no one notices me. I look like a groomsman in a tux (even though I'm not wearing one) and look formal enough everywhere else.

If you really wanna match...wear the theme color under you jacket (men) and as a shirt (women)...otherwise go with the basics...black, khaki, white, navy, brown...don't go toooo dark though...it's a day of celebration, not mourning! Good Luck!

..and makes me slip into the shadows. I don't try to look like a casually-dressed guest, I'm a paid professional. I'd better look like one.

I wore a long skirt (black and white) and a black short-sleeved cotton top. It looked nice enough to blend but comfortable to move it. I'd recommend wearing what you would wear to a friends wedding.

Something comical...not that you'd do this! I was at a wedding a few years ago and the photographer wore leopard leggins, a black oversized top and had her hair off to the side in a purple banana clip. She stuck out like a sore thumb. Her pictures were good but none of our other friends world hire her because they were afraid of how she'd look!

Blend in so you will represent yourself as well as your pictures will turn out.

Ah, yes, the shoes. Make sure you are comfortable in them. They need to be comfortable because you will be on your feet and moving around far more than anyone else. At least the bride and groom get to sit down at the reception or even change their shoes! I wear dressy sandals but then again, I am used to them and am comfortable in them. Invest in Dr Scholls!

I am being an assistant for a wedding in June and I am wearing black dress pants and I have to find a shirt to buy yet as most of the dressy ones I have are too low cut and I don't want to worry about something falling out when I am getting low ;)

Dress according to the dress code. Your job is to disappear.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back