Wedding Photographers Dress Code

Watch the shoes. Make sure they are comfortable!

Thats very important. But like everyone says, just dress according to the wedding. The wedding and formal events that I have been to, I always pay attention to the photographer. Dressing accordingly helps.

I wear nice black pants (they have a bit of stretch so are good for moving around in), a black shirt with a high neckline (cleavage is not the best look for a wedding photographer but would probably get the boys smiling?!!) My shirt has a small logo on the back and is a good length so no skin pops out during the ceremony. I also wear a funky red belt. My shoes are rubber soled and therefore very quiet which i think is important to consider while moving in the church - though I try not to move too much! I also wear a plain black 'bum-bag' - a bit 'tragic' i know but works a treat for holding cards, batteries, tissues, and even my 50mm1.8lens. My pant pockets dont seem to have enough room!

My main tips would be comfy but classy... make sure your shoes are comfy too - raw blisters and being on your feet for 6hours is not pretty!! High necklines for ladies, and like you said - no skirts. I know the way I move to get the angles and a skirt would be way too Flashy for me. Hope that helps.

Goodluck with your wedding - looking forward to seeing your shots x

All black is the way to go... black pants, shirt, tie, shoes, belt, cameras.

I don't wear tuxes because I get on the floor quite a lot.

Yes it's hot in outdoor summer weddings, especially here in Florida.

I'd advise semi-formal, or formal if things are very formal.

just one simple rule though ... don't try to look better than bride or groom ;) Play the grey mouse a bit.

just my personal feeling about it.

... don't try to look better than bride or groom

Yeah, not too fancy. I think blending in with the guests is a pretty good strategy. I have yet to have anyone worry about me underdressing, but several couples have expressed concerns about me overdressing. There is a local photographer who always wears a black tux. The mentioned couples had seen him at weddings they were guests at and thought it was over the top.

I wear my typical wedding outfit to the pre-wedding meetings I have with the couples.

There is a local photographer who always wears a black tux.

This actually can work if the couple wants the photographer to be part of the whole set / decoration., like the horses pulling the carriage, like the priest doing the ceremony, the photographer doing the photos.

if the photographer behaves in style then ,not being hectic and with certain dignity, then this can be just perfect (if it is what the couple wants)

Hello friend,
I think it will depend on what type of wedding you are attending..because every wedding has a different theme now a days so accessories and dresses are also selected according to it..as I have attended one of the beach wedding there I saw different Beach Attire than the normal wedding attires..If you are attending normal wedding then you can choose khaki dress pant and white dress shirt,as Banana Republic have good collection of casual wear,so you can wear it..with a tie..as in most of the weddings photo shooters are normally in casuals..

Regards,
Nelson

Wear what you would wear if you were a guest. Provided it isn't huge loud colours or prints or something.

You don't want to be more or less formal than the guests.

It is a balance between blending in and wearing clothes that are sufficiently comfortable to shoot in. Some of the Tilley-designed dressy jackets and travel clothes that don't crease with multiple pockets are useful to many photographers.

skieur

Hello friend,
I think it will depend on what type of wedding you are attending..because every wedding has a different theme now a days so accessories and dresses are also selected according to it..as I have attended one of the beach wedding there I saw different Beach Attire than the normal wedding attires..If you are attending normal wedding then you can choose khaki dress pant and white dress shirt,as Banana Republic have good collection of casual wear,so you can wear it..with a tie..as in most of the weddings photo shooters are normally in casuals..

Regards,
Nelson

Yeah Nelson you might want to check the date on the last post before you respond it was 2007.

I usually dress in some dockers and a polo shirt. I used to wear only slacks and a dressy shirt, but that has changed as my photo style has changed. I find that I need to be on the ground or hopping up on something at least 2 or 3 times per wedding. That doesn't work well in slacks - and if you're a girl, that definitely wouldn't work well in a skirt.

My take on it is that I'm a working professional and I need to wear clothing that is appropriate for what I'm doing. If a toilet at the wedding reception sprung a leak, you wouldn't expect the plumber to come in a tux. Our customers would rather have me getting the shot instead of missing something because of clothing choice. Granted that I'm not coming in my sweats either. Think smart.

For a first wedding though, I'd say you could play it safe if you aren't planning on getting any crazy shots.

Hello friend,

Regards,
Nelson

Yeah Nelson you might want to check the date on the last post before you respond it was 2007.

It is another sam bot...

Note the link, Most likely His website

Bahh atleast they keep it in topic instead of just random topics I suppose.

Most reactions

Back