Wedding Photographers - What Shoes Do You Wear?

DoctorDino

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I don't know if this is where I should put this, but oh well. I saw an extremely ancient thread about this topic, but it didn't have quite what I was looking for within.

The past few weddings I've filmed, my feet hurt for like a month after. Maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration, but you catch my drift.

So I want some different shoes. I usually shoot in the usual black or brown dress shoe, but do you think something like these Oxfords would work? Too unprofessional?

Please do not post images to which you do not hold rights. You may post a link.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should never dress below the level of the wedding. It's a respect thing. And a business thing.

I think you should never dress below the level of the wedding. It's a respect thing. And a business thing.

The company I work for was surprised I wore a tie to the first wedding I did with them. The just wear suitpants and a button up shirt.

"Really? You don't have to wear a tie"

Wearing a tie to shoot a wedding is now known as "the Joey thing"

Coincidentally, they're the most successful photographers/cinematographers (I do cinema) in the area.

I have no doubt that some photographers are somewhat less than professional, but I wrote what I consider the standard of professionalism.

I can see some justification for not wearing a tie; simply because you're working and if you're only in shirt and jacket you might well find the tie an annoyance. That said there's also a lot of people now who just go around with a proper shirt half tucked in and with the top button undone - which to me begs the question of why bother wearing a smart shirt if you're going to dress casual :p

IMHO, you dress the way you want to charge.

I agree. I seriously do not know how my company works. They dress way, way more casually than other wedding photographers. They're very clean and modern, but no tie or anything fancy. Nothing "tacky" of course, but not "dressy". I'm the only one who wears a tie, and even then I dress fairly casually to fit in. The main portrait photographer woman just wears black slacks and some type of blouse usually.

But we're constantly booked. From March - September, it's like 2 weddings a month. Plus other events, such as filming commercials or whatever. There's no "____ Studio are slobs" mantra floating around, surprisingly. Everyone loves this family.

Marketing can be a huge thing - market well and you can generate customers even if you're not perfect; whilst if you market poorly you might well find that even though you're outstanding in most ways, you still won't get enough clients.

Could be the company simply markets themselves very well and as a result get way more customers than other competing photography groups.

I can see some justification for not wearing a tie; simply because you're working and if you're only in shirt and jacket you might well find the tie an annoyance. That said there's also a lot of people now who just go around with a proper shirt half tucked in and with the top button undone - which to me begs the question of why bother wearing a smart shirt if you're going to dress casual :p

Whoa whoa whoa, a jacket? Why would you wear a jacket to film a wedding?!?!?! None of that craziness with Doctor Dino's employers!

Marketing can be a huge thing - market well and you can generate customers even if you're not perfect; whilst if you market poorly you might well find that even though you're outstanding in most ways, you still won't get enough clients.

Could be the company simply markets themselves very well and as a result get way more customers than other competing photography groups.

They market themselves fairly well, I'd say. Beautiful website, fantastic vimeo page, horrible instagram and stylish facebook. Nice office downtown on Main Street where the life of the town is.

I agree. I seriously do not know how my company works. They dress way, way more casually than other wedding photographers. They're very clean and modern, but no tie or anything fancy. Nothing "tacky" of course, but not "dressy". I'm the only one who wears a tie, and even then I dress fairly casually to fit in. The main portrait photographer woman just wears black slacks and some type of blouse usually.

But we're constantly booked. From March - September, it's like 2 weddings a month. Plus other events, such as filming commercials or whatever. There's no "____ Studio are slobs" mantra floating around, surprisingly. Everyone loves this family.

Different business models and both work well. Studio types tend to be on the "low price but high volume" vs boutique types and the "high price and low volume". I book about 20 weddings a year and that's all I want to shoot. I know other photographers shoot like 50+ weddings a year in addition to portrait and family stuff.

Whoa whoa whoa, a jacket? Why would you wear a jacket to film a wedding?!?!?! None of that craziness with Doctor Dino's employers!

I nice sport jacket goes a long way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back