wedding photographers...

holga girl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
what questions do you typically ask when meeting with a bride and groom? how do you handle questions of price? i have a good start for questions for the basics like bridal party and special events and stuff but i don't want to forget anything.

thanks!

Sit down and make up a check list of things to go over. Bring it with you that way you know you wont forget. Also a FAQ sheet for the BnG can be helpful to them as well, I know from experience my wife and I asked great questions when meeting our photog, but with everything else going on, we forgot a couple answers and had to ask again. This way they have a basic outline of what you do for reference, and you can concentrate on other work you may have going on.

I have a price list to show them. It has my different packages and then also has a whole page of prints & products with prices. Hopefully, most or all of their pricing questions will be answered by that.

As for questions to ask, it may be helpful for you to make up a check list or something like that, so that you remember to ask the questions. On my wedding contract, I have a form for them to fill out, which has many of the basic things that I'd need to know. Times, locations, names, phone numbers etc.

I like to ask them about the locations where I'll be shooting. Often, they may not know because you are meeting with them a long time before the wedding. I'll talk to them about possible locations to shoot their photos and ask them what they want.

I also ask them to appoint someone in the family to be my liaison for the formals. I won't know people's names and it's very helpful to have someone (who isn't the bride or groom) who knows all the people there.

I ask them questions to see what they will be open for. I'd like to be able to shoot the formals before the wedding but for most people, that's against tradition. I'd love to do a 'trash the dress' session....but no luck so far. I ask them what their interests are, maybe they like baseball, or horses. Do they want to incorporate that into their photos...stuff like that.

Also, part of meeting with a couple it to get to know them and for them to get to know you. You want them to be comfortable in front of your camera, and that is easier if you all get to know each other.

I have a Questionnaire that I have it in front of us while we chat.
Here is the rough sketch of what I usually ask.

Date of Wedding
Location Address
Time - Ceremony, Reception
Getting Ready shots? If yes what time?
if yes, Home/hotel address? Contact tel number - bride's cell, but preferably someone closest to them (bridal party/sibling/parent)
Ceremony and Reception location. If it's held at different venues, get the addresses for both. Ask them how far is it from one place to the other.
Percentage of B&W/Clr
Ask about Restrictions if any, how close can you come near the 'alter', is flash photography permitted etc.
Is it going to be a religious or non-religious wedding?
If religious, which one? Ask them about normal rituals. A Hindu wedding is different from a Jewish or a Catholic.
No. of guests
Make sure you discuss about your photography approach - if it's going to be documentary or formal, or bit of both, if both, what percentage of each. Try not to leave anything for 'I thought, you said, I said'.
Like Mike said, make sure they have an 'insider' to take care of the formals.
You have to have a clear price list printed on a separate paper. make it easy for them, instead of memorizing everything.

They may not have the address/tel numbers handy (which is most likely the case). If so, tell them you will email them with all your unanswered questions. Don't make it a questionnaire filling session. The primary goal is to have a hearty chat - get to know each other.

- Dan

I'd love to do a 'trash the dress' session....but no luck so far.

Maybe you should offer this service at a divorce court??? Oh to capture the utter hatred of a woman scorn lol :D I would LOVE to see pics like that hahaha

When I meet with a bride, the first things that I ask about are questions about them. This whole event is about them, so give them the spotlight. Ask them how long they've been together. How they met. Mention that she has a gorgeous diamond on her finger.
Then I bring up info about my studio. I give them my portfolio to look through while you tell a brief summary of your business and why you love photography weddings.
Then I present them with a printed document of the wedding costs. This lists every possible price they might need from hourly rates, to full-day photography, thank-you cards, & copyright releases.
I also present them with a printed document of the albums that I offer with their packages. I show them the differences between the storybook albums and matted albums.
I go through each item on the packages and explain why it is good for them to have it.
Next, I ask them what they had in mind for their photography. Ask if they have a budget set. If so, explain what you can offer them within that budget.
Finally, I present the wedding contract to them and explain that when they are ready, what they'll need to fill out. I briefly go over the legal stuff in the contract. I make sure that they know they can call/email me with ANY questions, because I want them to be informed about the decision they are making.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back