Wedding Photography - Nikon D7000

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many amatuer and intermediate photographers are obessed with getting the best equipment and many so called professionals claim you need to spend thousands of dollars for acceptable client images. Buy the best to be the best. This is so ridiculous and snobbish. The truth is... get the best within your budget. It is the Indian and not the arrow. Example, Chase Jarvis's a book, "The Best Camera is the One That is With You." Shot entirely with an iPhone.

I am shooting with a D7000 primary and D90 backup as well. Here is what I have found:

12-24 f4: Having 2.8 on this lens really is not needed, this is the one I use to get in shots of the bride getting dressed. You need the 12mm because the distance from the back of the bathtub to the mirror is usually quite small :) Seriously though, if you want shots in close quarters, this is it. Couple it with a SB-600 to bounce and it does a good job.

24-70 2.8: This is the main lens I use for groups, the dance, setups (food, tables, rings, etc), I could not do without it.

80-200 2.8D AF-D Two Ring: This is my primary lens during the ceremony. It allows you to get the shots at the altar without being in someone's face, with the 2.8 you can get outstanding bokeh to really make the couple stand out and have enough speed to shoot without flash. I also could not do without this lens.

50 1.8, 85 1.8, 24 2.8, 105 2.8 Micro: These are handy to have as well for specific shots but the action is such that they should be aquired after the first three.

Good luck!

Allan

Could you please tell me what ISO you leave your D7000 set to when indoors shooting with that lens on f2.8 with available light?

I have the ISO set to auto with a minimum shutter speed of 1/400th or faster at f2.8. This allows the camera to adjust to the different lighting conditions and give me the lowest possible ISO at the given shutter speed.

Allan

If you are looking to seriously get into wedding photography you will need to invest close to $10,000 - $15,000 as a main shooter to start out. Please keep that in mind and please don't think you can shoot weddings without professional equipment; yes it can be done however your clients will not be pleased.

However on your current budget I would recommend finding a used 80-200mm AF-S (70-200mm if you can find one) or a 85mm 1.4. Good luck!

Wow? $10,000??? Why would someone need that much to start out. I live her in the city and I've seen these amateur (very artsy kids) create and capture weddings with their eyes closed. Yes, they are using the 5d Mark II, Nikon D700, or (2) Nikon D90...yea, I was shock to see this. Anyway, they have some Primes but they are (well, was) artist. Their composition, angles, creativity, and passion for photography really shows in their work. Oh, and they don't have close to $10,000 to invest yet.

I was in shock when this pretty little Korea chick had the 2 Nikon D90 shooting a wedding in Central Park. Yes, I took a double take looking for her parents and she was doing her thing alone! Very sweet and nice. She pointed me to her bag because I whisper (gesture), business card and I see it on the ground sticking out of her bag. Wait until I find it and put up you her website link.

These kids are doing their things!!! I am jealous and scared of doing weddings because the expectation is too high. But, I really didn't know you had to invest $10 to 15K to run a wedding photography business. I have a lot to learn.

Great tips Flea 77!!! Looking into some nice lens and always wanted to know what lens were used to capture wedding shots.

Just so I can answer with more info, do you have a business license or are you shooting illegally?

Please explain how you shoot illegally, and why it matters for your additional info.

If you don't have a business license and are not collecting tax for your state you are not in compliance with the law.

If that's the case I personally won't offer any suggestions.

If you are taking the steps to be legal and above board I'd love to offer advice.

That's why.

Oh, no... are you serious? I took pictures at fairs, trade shows, baby showers, birthday parties, and at sweet sixteen. I don't remember how much I've collected and i hope you don't tell on me.

Should I be concerned? I don't do weddings because it's challenging and hard. However, I feel sorry for those amateurs who didn't know this and are under 18 years old.
I know... I know... You probably think I am crazy but their was a chick who created a website "www.whateverlife.com" back in the days. Her story was on the news and online. She designed and made very beautiful templates for people on Myspace. She dropped out of school and gave her friends jobs in her basement. Yea, I think her parents made sure all the proper tax info was in place and organized. So, some people may not know this.
Thanks for the heads up!

Hello!

I’m hoping you can all help me out. I have gotten into wedding photography and currently shoot with a Nikon D90. I’m going to invest in the D7000 (use my D90 as a back-up) and would like to know which lens to purchase.

I have:
50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens
18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens

Any advice?? I'm looking to spend <$1,000 for a solid lens. I love the 105mm, however, want to ensure that the next lens I purchase will be the last for quite some time.

Thank you in advance!

Just so I can answer with more info, do you have a business license or are you shooting illegally?

LOL, people are talking about Licenses, Taxes, Equipments, and $10000+ to invest for wedding photography. but they just forget about photography is an ART! ART will never judged by how much an artist invest into the business and did he or her pay taxes?!?! LOL

Hello!

I&#8217;m hoping you can all help me out. I have gotten into wedding photography and currently shoot with a Nikon D90. I&#8217;m going to invest in the D7000 (use my D90 as a back-up) and would like to know which lens to purchase.

I have:
50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor Lens
18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-S DX VR ED Nikkor Lens

Any advice?? I'm looking to spend <$1,000 for a solid lens. I love the 105mm, however, want to ensure that the next lens I purchase will be the last for quite some time.

Thank you in advance!

LOL, people are talking about Licenses, Taxes, Equipments, and $10000+ to invest for wedding photography. but they just forget about photography is an ART! ART will never judged by how much an artist invest into the business and did he or her pay taxes?!?! LOL

Trolling on old threads, are we?

Please explain how you shoot illegally, and why it matters for your additional info.

If you don't have a business license and are not collecting tax for your state you are not in compliance with the law.

If that's the case I personally won't offer any suggestions.

If you are taking the steps to be legal and above board I'd love to offer advice.

That's why.

WOW... hahahaha calm down

I would like to suggest

17-55mm 2.8
Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 lens

I am doing weddings with an investment of about $4000 in equipment. Most of it I had before I ever shot my first wedding and was little more than a hobbyist. Since my motorcycle accident rendered me unable to return to my former job I have made the jump from hobbyist to professional out of necessity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back