WEDDING photography question

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by MyaLover, Oct 6, 2008.

1. MyaLover

MyaLover TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Just curious as to settings some of you use for taking wedding photos. Any hints, tips or tricks would be helpful too

2. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Well, if it were just a one setting event, all wedding photographers would have to wear badges so they weren't taking pics of each other. Just as each church is different in lighting, type, quantity, etc. they are also different at different times of day. I guess to answer your question, you use the setting that is most appropriate for the lighting. Sorry if that sounds rude, but there really isn't a way to answer it. If it were fireworks, you could say, Bulb Exposure, f/8 set focus to infinity use a tripod and a cable release and shoot away. You just can't say that for a wedding. Thus, a good photographer can fetch a decent wage for shooting one.

How long is a string?

3. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are at least 100 websites and 10 flickr groups centered around wedding photography. One suggestion I would offer is you join one of these and read, read, read.

There are several good books about wedding photography. Same suggestion.

Contact a local pro wedding photographer and ask to talk to them, however, I hope you don't ask them what lens/camera settings they use. This is a question that automatically targets you as a less than knowledgeable photographer and they will not take you seriously. Get the basics of photography down pat before doing this.

The answer to your question is... there is no one special setting for wedding photographs.

Good luck! :)

4. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    What are you guys talking about?

I use that special little button on my Nikon called "Magical Wedding Photos"

Aw, just kidding. The above posts are correct; there is no one setting for wedding photographs.

The appropriate question might be what EQUIPMENT, but even that is open to debate and various advice.

5. MyaLover

MyaLover TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    OK maybe not settings, but what about some hints or tips?

6. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    best way to find settings is to read photography books and look at the works of others. Whilst there are no magical settings to be set to there are some conventions out there - such as with macro a convention is using a small aperture to shoot with.
    These things are typical "rules" that are used to gain an advantage, though of course like all rules with photography they can be broken to good effect.
    I find reading books and looking at photos of others where they state aperture, shutter speed and ISO (for wedding I would also look to the lighting arrangment and any comments as to the shooting conditions as well).

7. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    Look through wedding photo books and pick out what you like. Notice not only the poses but where the photos are taken. Where the light is coming from etc.

Then take some one with you to places like that and Practice!!!

And then practice some more. And then some more until you can make those shots in your sleep (and you will). Think of it like building your chops in music or being a gym rat in sports. Practice.

And when you can do the work with out thinking about it- then you are ready.

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wedding photography isn't really different from other photography, so you do what you know.

There are some differences though, for example; it's supposed to be a once in a lifetime event, so you have very little margin for error. You need to be alert and on the ball. You should have gear that is reliable and that will get the job done, this would include having backup equipment in case something goes wrong. A wedding photographer should also be prepared for just about anything. If the lighting or weather or house rules are not as you expected them to be, you need to adapt and get the job done anyway. You will need to manage your time because it's usually quite limited and you may need to control a group of people who are very distracted. All this while trying to be creative, friendly and professional.

It doesn't really matter what settings you use. That will depend on your light and your personal style, both of which are different for most people and will change during the day.

9. SpeedTrap

SpeedTrap TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have no Idea how you added that you a D50, I thought that feature was only available on the D700 and D3???

As for Weddings, you need to define a style that works for you, go look at others photos and try to re-create looks that you like but add your own influence to them.

It can take a while to figure everything out, I have been shooting weddings for a few years now and I am still looking for new places and Ideas. Recently I shot some wedding portraits on top of a packing garage in downtown. As soon as they are ready I will post some of them.

10. epp_b

epp_b No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    There are no golden settings for things like this, as others have said, because it depends on your style, the lighting, the setting, etc. The only thing I'd say to do would be to learn how to proficiently use the MASP modes. Your camera cannot guess what sort of artistic effect you are going for in any of the idiot modes (also known as "auto" modes ;))

11. Alex_B

Alex_B No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I would use the settings which i usually use for a given lighting situation.

With respect to the settings it makes no difference if there is a bride in the scene or some nice reindeer - as long as the light is the same.

12. Mike30D

Mike30D TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Jerry hit on the head with talking to a established pro. The best way to learn about shooting weddings is to assist/second shoot. The experience is worth more than all the camera gear you can buy. If that won't work, then you've got some reading and practicing to do;)