Not open for further replies.

alwat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Nikon D90 with the 18.105mm f/3.5-5.6G
Sigma EF-530 DG ST Flash

I was asked to do my Niece's Wedding day. This will be my first wedding and I am not looking forward to it really, My main concern is taking photo's in the church with no flash, need help with the settings.

You're gonna get an ear full.

I'll just say good luck to you... and take the advice about to follow. :D

Nikon D90 with the 18.105mm f/3.5-5.6G
Sigma EF-530 DG ST Flash

I was asked to do my Niece's Wedding day. This will be my first wedding and I am not looking forward to it really, My main concern is taking photo's in the church with no flash, need help with the settings.
Do you know how to use the camera in manual mode?

You might want a faster lens. That and bump your ISO a bit. There is a lot though that goes into a wedding. Make sure you have mastered your camera though that is very important.

If you're sure it's a "no flash" situation.. don't think your 3.5-5.6 will cut it.. maybe ask a friend to borrow a low light prime lens.. i'm a canon user, so sorry can't offer too much advice on specific models.. i shot my first wedding a couple weeks ago.. it's definitely challenging but rewarding task getting all the shots by yourself.. any friends you can use as a second shooter?? think of the progression of the wedding, the events that take place.. have an idea of what angles or perspective you're gonna capture.. prep shots, pre-walk, aisle walk, ring exchange, kiss, post walk, family/group shots/bridesmen/maids, reception walk in, cake cut, toast... think of the photos they would want in their book, and that's what recording for them.. make sure you get some close-ups ring, maybe the dress.. and guess remember high iso pictures are more editable vs. blurry pics.. good luck!

Many wedding photographers prefer a 2 lens setup: a 24-70 mm f/2.8 (for group shots) and a 70-200mm f/2.8 (for portraits and distance work). So, you might think about renting a better body too, like a D700 because it has much better ISO performance than your D90.

One lens on your D90 and the other on the D700.

First, you are asking "what settings"; what this implies to me is you don't know the basics of your camera, or what the "settings" do for you.

Second, you didn't inquire about lens options and just listed your kit lens, I would assume because you thought it would be sufficient.

:meh:

So you've taken this on, and not to stress you out any further, I will just say good luck.
TO compensate for your lack of experience, I would say you are going to have to shell out some cash. Like mentioned above, rent a D700 or D3s, Rent the lenses listed above by KmH. I'd then grab quite a few SD cards and Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, Shoot, (Raw+Jpeg).... Take 5000 photos and you should have a few keepers. Whether you have composed them in a manner that would be expected of a professional, thats another question.

Do you honestly think renting a nicer body is going to help when they aren't sure what settings to use on the one they already have? This is one of those situations where throwing money at something to get good pictures isn't going to do squat. Now you expect this person to learn a pro body camera and carry 2 heavy lenses.

I say you got yourself into this, shoot with what you have and make the most of it. At the minimum, buy the $100 ($139 new) Nikon 50mm f1/8 lens.

I foresee the biggest problem being motion blur, or underexposed photos. The ability to raise the ISO, coupled with a good prime lens, would help mitigate that issue.
I DO think they could learn to operate the D700 in a short period of time. Aperture, Shutter, ISO, all the same. The shutter button is the big one on the top right.

I've never held a D3S, but hand me one and I'll take a perfectly exposed photo in manual mode, a few seconds after handling it.

I agree, but that's you - to me it sounds like the original poster isn't all the comfortable. They have a D90, which is worlds better than the D200 in low light which is what some pro photographers were using prior to the D700 (and still are).

The camera is fine, adding a new body to the equation is only going to increase the margin for error. In my opinion it's time to learn the D90 inside and out, experiment and learn NOW so you're more ready when the big day gets here. Otherwise you're going to rent a lens for a day, learn where the controls are, use it with marginal success and send it back.

Check out books at your local library, study them, read your owners manual (a second time if you have to).

Yeah, I agree there... at least lenses aren't a huge learning curve, but still - would be nice to have more than a couple days to practice with. At least getting the 50mm would allow some learning time with very little expense. Once outside the 18-105 might work out OK depending on the light conditions, plus the flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back