Wedding Photos - Feedback needed!

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by skiboarder72, Jul 14, 2008.

1. skiboarder72

skiboarder72 No longer a newbie, moving up!

I shot this wedding over the weekend outside of Rochester, NY. The couple is very happy with the pictures, so now I would love to hear how I can improve them in the future.

I've been shooting weddings for a few years now and I would love to get as much feedback as possible on my latest wedding. I know there are a ton of really talented people on here that I would love to hear from. I am probably going to use these photos for promotional material so I would love to hear what everyones favorites are. Thanks again for the feedback!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AverageJoe

AverageJoe TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Looks like a fun wedding. #12 the bride blends into the sky a little too much. Overall they give a good feel for the wedding.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The first one does nothing for me...but they get a lot better.

Most of them are pretty good. Good exposure and nice compositions.

Some things to watch for:
    The horizon is tilted in some of them. Not always a big deal, but where there is water on the horizon, it should be level.

The ultra wide angle shots can be fun and cool...but you really have to watch for people on the edges...they will get really distorted. Compose the shot and/or arrange the people so that they are farther away from the edges of your shot. That way you can get the cool distortion in the middle without making people on the edge look too weird.
    With group shot try to make thing even. For example: in #4, the guy on the right is separated while the rest of the people are overlapping (touching). If they are all overlapping, then he should be too. If they are all separated, then he should be too. Of course, you can break that rule to draw attention to someone...the B&G for example.

4. motorshooter

motorshooter TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't shoot enough weddings, but your shots are what I need to inspire me the next wedding shoot I do.

Very nice:)

5. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    C&C per req:
    1. Nice idea, but the head of the person in the foreground image right really detracts from the shot. As well, your WB is too warm; skin tones are verging on the red.

2. Nice, but a little processed looking to me. This would have benefitted from a 2 stop grad ND and perhaps a CPOL - as mentioned, some horizons are a bit tilted.

3. Again, a nice idea, but as per one, forground intrudes. I would suggest a closer crop to remove most of the shrub image right, and some of the empty space above the bride.

4. Nice; depending on how formal the wedding (this one I assume was quite informal) watch the little details like the chap on image right with his tie askew and the fellow to his right with his hands in his pockets.

5. Nice, unfortunate about the cropped train of her dress.

6. Very good, but tilted.

7. Very nice, WB is way off in this one. As well, a larger apeture would have resulted in much less DoF and a more pleasing, softer background.

8. Very good. WB again.

9. Nice.

10. Very good, but perhaps a tighter crop?

11. Very nice.

12. As mentioned, over exposed, but good pose.

13. Good pose, good exposure, but a location that isn't ideal; the sloping land with the lake/ocean in the background causes the eye to 'wonder' a bit. I think this one would have been better shot against the grass, rather than the water (but I know for a fact I would never have noticed this at the time).

14-20. Nice 'memory' captures.

In the future, optimum feedback and critique can be provided when fewer images are posted; ideally <5.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

6. Local_Skater

Local_Skater TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    1 7 and 9 are look way over saturated to me. :p You also lost the sky on a couple and there are a few exposure problems here and there. Overall I think they'll be happy though. 2 is really cool btw.

7. LeSueur24

LeSueur24 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've never done a wedding, but what I can suggest is do some sharpening with some of the photos in PS. Just to help the subjects pop out a little bit, but not so much that the picture ends up looking like crap.

8. skiboarder72

skiboarder72 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys, you make some fantastic points that will help a lot as I keep shooting in the future! :)

9. BernieSC

BernieSC TPF Noob!

Love #5 how the little girls in the front one looking up at the groom and the other smiling is priceless. Very nice wide angle group shot.

10. lggg123

lggg123 TPF Noob!

photographs are good but some of them are not so expressive. you need to work more on your skill rest is good.

11. 2WheelPhoto

2WheelPhoto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice pics. Just curious, have you been shooting weddings "professionally" for a few years?

12. o hey tyler

o hey tyler Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Probably since '08, considering that's when the thread was posted.

• Like Like x 1