Wedding photos, looking for constructive criticism

Scrappy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
OK, first of all, I feel kinda funny posting in this forum... even though people pay me to take their photo, I still don't feel comfortable calling myself a "professional", and I still feel like a beginner in so many ways.

That said, I have some shots I'd like to share and get some constructive criticism on. Most of them deal with specific problems I find myself running into and would love any thoughts/suggestions on improving in the future... either at the time of the shot, or even in post-processing.

These are all the original shots, with no editing done to them. Thanks so much for taking a look!

024.jpg

#2 (this and #3 were both taken in bright sunlight. I got them into the shade as much as possible. Can I do anything about how bright the background is, without affecting the quality of the people in the photo?)
071.jpg

117.jpg

137.jpg

nicole022.jpg

nicole013.jpg

The first view is certainly a step in the right direction. I might have turned her 45° to one way or the other, and then have her return her face to the position you have here. I bet you were limited for space. One step straight back would have been nice.

Good goin'!

-Pete

Use flash more creatively, and remember in #2 the shutter speed controls the ambient light and the aperture controls flash. Get your background exposure to where you like it and use flash to fill the rest (off camera if you can).

Number 6 photo is quite dark, no flash? I guess you want to create this romantic shot, that's why it turned out to be dark and blurry. But I like the 3rd and 5th photos.:wink:

Thanks so much, you guys. I really appreciate the feedback and advice!

#6, yes, was taken without flash. The reception hall was lit only by candlelight until after the wedding party arrived. I took the cake photo with flash and without, and with the flash just looked like a crappy, stark, blah photo. I didn't have a tripod with me to control the blur, it was my cousin's wedding and I wasn't the official photographer.

#1 and #2 appear to be OOF. I do, however, love the idea you're going for in #1. #5 I would love to see with her face turned farther away from the camera. Her nose appears to be quite large and crooked here which could be minimized with less of a profile look. Your only problem in #6 is White Balance. Next time, just go under your white balance menu and try out some of the options (i.e. tungsten lights). This is also something that can be fixed in post (to a degree).

You've got a good start, just a few things to think about for next time!

Thanks so much, I appreciate your comments :)

I know, about the nose LOL But, well, it's the Cormier nose... a standing family joke, actually... her mom got that photo enlarged to frame all because of the nose angle LOL Otherwise, I agree with you, and I'll keep it in mind for the future with a subject who maybe doesn't love theirs as much!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back