Wedding problem???

A wedding isn't a controlled shot, it's a very unpredictable, dynamic, event. :eek:)

Of the 3 (coming up to #4 soon) weddings that I have shot (as #2 shooter), I think that the one part that I see that almost guarantees success is the fact that things like the formals ARE tightly controlled by the main photographer. It is true you cannot control the actions of 75 people, but, you can clearly stipulate to the bride and groom (and to the people gathered) that over the next "X" amount of time, there will be "X" number pictures taken of this group of people. You are politely asked NOT to leave until you are informed that you are no longer needed, so to stay within a small tight area and listen for direction. Now, if people leave, that is their responsability, and the contract does cover for those cases.

Roughly 250 keeper formal shots in 60 minutes is not only doable, but I have seen it done 3 times so far... wihtout hitch, and done very smoothly.

It all depends on how good you are, I suppose.

As far as contracts go... anyone that wants to get into this business that has 20-minute a self-made contract, is a fool. Either use one that you created and CLEARED with your lawyer, or use one from a photographer colleague who did the checks with their lawyers to make sure that it is a well designed contract. Even then, a well made contract is potentially the difference between success and bankrupcy.

Don't use a contract word for word that comes from another state or country withouit having it looked over. Different laws in different parts almost madate that you make sure that you are covered.

ok.. nope never done a wedding... and I DO understand all the contract thing.. being the mom the one that signed so it´s HER decision... but, I ,as a bride would be sooooo upset if my mom turned down MY wedding pics because SHE didn´t like them and I did....

tough situation here.. but I hope it all gets solved for the best of both parties...

I would disagree, to a certain extent, that a wedding is uncontrolled and unpredictable; there is a sequence of events which you can plan for and figure out your shots beforehand-the bride preparing at home, the limo picking her up, the arrivals of the bride and groom at the service, the service, signing the register and departure for the reception, and the reception itself.
Pre-planning is CRUCIAL; for the couple involved-especially the bride-this is the most important event of their lives and you have one shot at getting it right.
Try never to use flash unless it is absolutely unavoidable; it is far more intrusive than shutter noise, in my experience. If light levels are low enough that hand-holding is impractical use a monopod.

Most reactions

Back