Wedding Questions

I agree with the principle...but what if you buy a 5D and Uncle Joe shows up with a 1Ds mk III? So you go out and buy a 1Ds mk III and the next Uncle Joe shows up with a Hassy H3D...what then?

If you are making money by selling prints, then have a rule that guest are not allowed to shoot. That is pretty standard.

Of course, the bottom line is that you need to deliver a quality product. Some of the lower end equipment is quite capable of being able to deliver great results...even if you don't look as impressive as they guy in 3rd pew with $16,000 worth of equipment.

When uncle Phil with the better camera than you tells them they can have his images for free why should they buy any of yours.

To take your thought a step further, we have all heard something along the lines of "wow, great picture, you must have a really good camera..." until we are fit to be tied.

MANY people equate quality pictures with the LOOK of your equipment, not knowing (or caring) that while Uncle Phil may have spent a ton of money on his gear, YOU are the one that knows how to use the stuff.

There is so much more to being a wedding photographer than the equipment, BUT people won't be standing over your shoulder as you are there post processing or won't notice you pouring over your shot list to make sure you have a picture of the bride and Great Aunt Edith.

People like to look at fancy equipment, as sad of a fact as it is... and they equate fancy equipment with good pictures (although WE photographers all know the truth).

To take your thought a step further, we have all heard something along the lines of "wow, great picture, you must have a really good camera..." until we are fit to be tied.

MANY people equate quality pictures with the LOOK of your equipment, not knowing (or caring) that while Uncle Phil may have spent a ton of money on his gear, YOU are the one that knows how to use the stuff.

Soooooooo true! When I first set up the studio, my husband told a friend that she could come in and shoot her son with her own camera, using my backdrops :er: (yeah......I killed him later). She showed up with a nice high-end DSLR and started taking really horrible shots. I sat on my hands as long as I could and then couldn't take it anymore. I stepped up to her son and positioned him, moved over to her, moved her around and then told her to shoot. She looked at the resulting picture on her display and said, "wow!!...I guess that's why you're the professional. Do you have a card?" :mrgreen:

I really appreciate the input from everyone and it is really helping me immensely. I am not the type of person to just jump into something. I absolutely have to have a plan of attack so to speak.

I really don't know about taking out a loan for equipment at this stage of the game. I do have friends' weddings coming up and will make the necessary steps to gain the experience through that. It will be interesting to see where this all takes me.

You guys are all right just go start shooting weddings with with the Rebel and your kit lens you really don't need all that gear to do a good job at a wedding. The only reason any real pro would have fro using "pro" gear is to impress people. In fact all this high-end gear is just a conspiracy to trick people into buying expensive gear they don't really need. I really wish I had consulted with you guys before Imade the ivestment in gear that I did. I understand an image from a Rebel and a kit lens is every bit as valuable to a potential client as an image from an EOS 1D Mk III with a 35mm f/2.0 what was I thinking??.

I really appreciate the input from everyone and it is really helping me immensely. I am not the type of person to just jump into something. I absolutely have to have a plan of attack so to speak.

I really don't know about taking out a loan for equipment at this stage of the game. I do have friends' weddings coming up and will make the necessary steps to gain the experience through that. It will be interesting to see where this all takes me.

By the way if you just go to a few friends weddings to put together a book to show potential cliens your work the gear you have is fine but if you start charging people for weddings with the gear you have you will be short changing the client and making yourself look bad but I guess that is just my opinion.

As far as having professional looking gear I would definitely not buy gear just to look professional or have it look the best. I would much rather use cheaper gear and use it better than the next guy with the more expensive gear.

I just don't think having a big pro body is going to make you look any better than having a 20D or XTi. Its all about how you handle yourself and the air of authority and confidence or manner in which you act. I believe that above all has more of an impact that the gear.

I looked at the bigger pro bodies (why does that sound so sexy?) but the weight is too much for me. I would end up in the emergency room if I used that all the time. :)

I was fortunate to have a few friends getting married recently, so I was able to use them to help build my portfolio. My business is just starting to take off after a year of hard work, if you have any questions feel free to email or msg me. Ill be happy to talk to you about my experience so far.

As far as having professional looking gear I would definitely not buy gear just to look professional or have it look the best. I would much rather use cheaper gear and use it better than the next guy with the more expensive gear.

I just don't think having a big pro body is going to make you look any better than having a 20D or XTi. Its all about how you handle yourself and the air of authority and confidence or manner in which you act. I believe that above all has more of an impact that the gear.
Listen, first of all the image thing while important is not the whole reason I say to get into a better body. Second, I am not trying to say you need to get an EOS 1Ds mkIII or whatever ora Nikon D3 but a 5D or a D200/300 is the minimum. For me I purchased a D70s and totally regret it and fully intend to, when I am able to get back into weddings physically (I have been dealing with a broken leg for 1.5 yrs.) on buying a D300 with a grip. Also, while happy with 2 of the lenses (in my sig) I regret wasting money on the kit lens and when I get a chance (before I do another wedding I plan to buy the 17-55 2.8. But I really want to re-iterate the whole image thing was not meant to be as big an issue as you think it is I just think it is important for a person to have the proper tools to do the job he intends on doing.

Listen, first of all the image thing while important is not the whole reason I say to get into a better body. Second, I am not trying to say you need to get an EOS 1Ds mkIII or whatever ora Nikon D3 but a 5D or a D200/300 is the minimum. For me I purchased a D70s and totally regret it and fully intend to, when I am able to get back into weddings physically (I have been dealing with a broken leg for 1.5 yrs.) on buying a D300 with a grip. Also, while happy with 2 of the lenses (in my sig) I regret wasting money on the kit lens and when I get a chance (before I do another wedding I plan to buy the 17-55 2.8. But I really want to re-iterate the whole image thing was not meant to be as big an issue as you think it is I just think it is important for a person to have the proper tools to do the job he intends on doing.

I disagree, you can take perfectly good photos on a cropped body, 20/30/40Ds are great cameras and are perfectly capable Cameras. Proper glass and skill, matched with a capable body will do the job just fine.

I disagree, you can take perfectly good photos on a cropped body, 20/30/40Ds are great cameras and are perfectly capable Cameras. Proper glass and skill, matched with a capable body will do the job just fine.

That is exactly what I was saying with that last post. People mis-interpreted me as saying you need a 1Ds Mk III or a D3 but I said a 20D or D200/300 will do just fine. I just did not say 20D because I do not know Canon so I just said 5D.

I just interpreted what you said to mean the pro-style body gives you more of a pro look. Nothing to do with IQ.

And thanks subimatt!

That is exactly what I was saying with that last post. People mis-interpreted me as saying you need a 1Ds Mk III or a D3 but I said a 20D or D200/300 will do just fine. I just did not say 20D because I do not know Canon so I just said 5D.

Ah ok! Makes sense now, The 5D is Canons FF, 12.3 MP, Pro level body. Kits are around 3k, great camera and on my list of things to get, but way more than minimum for weddings. 5D would be equal do the D200/300's if that helps! :thumbup:

Well than yes, the 5D it is. I wonder what a client woud say if they knew just how seriously some people took the job they hired them for. Understand the D200/300 and the 5D is a base model semi pro camera and to me it should be a minimum when considering getting into weddings seriously and lets get off the whole apperance thing I do mean that but lets drop that part of the discussion. Now I do agree you Canon users do have a bit of an advantage when it comes to entry level cameras (20D/30D) but they should only be considered a starter body to be replaced later on with a better main body and use it as a backup. With Nikon I really would never consider the D80 as an acceptable body for weddings a backup mabye but honestly D200/300 all the way. And in case anyone wonders I bought the D70s before the D200 came out and I regret it everyday as an inadequate waste of money.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back