Wedding Questions

Well than yes, the 5D it is. I wonder what a client woud say if they knew just how seriously some people took the job they hired them for. Understand the D200/300 and the 5D is a base model semi pro camera and to me it should be a minimum when considering getting into weddings seriously and lets get off the whole apperance thing I do mean that but lets drop that part of the discussion. Now I do agree you Canon users do have a bit of an advantage when it comes to entry level cameras (20D/30D) but they should only be considered a starter body to be replaced later on with a better main body and use it as a backup. With Nikon I really would never consider the D80 as an acceptable body for weddings a backup mabye but honestly D200/300 all the way. And in case anyone wonders I bought the D70s before the D200 came out and I regret it everyday as an inadequate waste of money.

whoops im sorry, maybe I meant 5D = D2/ D3? it is a Pro level camera. lets see... maybe you can give me a run down on Nikons. heres one of Canon. XT<XTi<20D<30D<40D<5D<1D<1Ds, the 5D and 1D are considered pro level cameras. Man this is confusing... Im never switching sides :)

The way I look at it Canona nd Nikon are kind of 'staggered' in regards to what is better, for instance the D40 is below an XTi, but a D70/80 is above the XTi but below the 20D/30D/40D line, the D200 and D300 is above the 20D/30D/40D line but below the 5D (debatle) and next is the Canon 1D, and then there is the D2X/D3X which is debatabily equivalent/worse/better to/than the Canon 1Ds line. Make sense kind of ish? Then again, these things are alwasy changing so you never really know who is goign to slip a line in where.

I bought the D70s before the D200 came out and I regret it everyday as an inadequate waste of money.

I have a D70 and a D70s and a D300 on order, I do shoot weddings with a D70s, if you think you can't you need to have another look at your camera.
There is alot you can do with that camera, when I do have a paid shoot, I rent some fast glass and have never had a problem or a complaint from a customer.

I will like shooting with my new D300 but I will never leave home without my D70s if the 300 ever breaks down, I know the D70s can take over no problem.

I think people are still mis-interpreting JIP. A D70s, although capable of creating great pictures, doesn't have the same build as a D200/300. Therefore it's not as durable to withstand the rigors of wedding shooting. You may get by with your D70/80, but if you want to do this as a living, that better body and longer shutter life(not sure as I shoot Canon, but I'd assume so) pays for itself and ensures the customer gets the job they paid you for. I am getting into wedding photography and shoot with a 30D, but I know I will upgrade once I do more than a wedding a month, I value the stronger body of a 5D or the weather seals of a 1D so I can get my job done. I completely understand why JIP is suggesting not shooting with a D80 if this is more than a passing fancy because when your paycheck is dependent on your camera, you better be getting the right camera.

It should be noted that the 5D (body) is no more 'pro' or robust than the 20D or 30D. It's basically the same body but with a larger sensor. The 40D may actually be a better body in those terms because it has some weather sealing.

Either way, wedding photography is not on-the-street photo journalism or even sports photography. The entry and mid level bodies are built well enough to put up with most of what a typical wedding shooter will go through. Sure, stronger is better but the clients probably can't tell the difference.

I agree that if you are being paid to shoot weddings, it would be very beneficial to have the best (or at least very good) equipment. The lower end cameras can get the job done though, maybe not lower end lenses though. Maybe that's part of the reason why some charge $6000 and some charge $1000.

It becomes obvious that there is no right or wrong...there are just different ways of looking at it and different ways of going about it.

One other aspect to tink about is quality of the image - due to the sensor size of the 5D, noise is less then the equivalent ISO on the 40D (even though they have greatly improved it and I ahven't had the chance to test it out) - and there is that odd wedding where light is of a premium - actually, that barely defines it.

I can't remember whether it was in this topic or another but don't be concerned at all about weight - I am an average sized 5'8" female who lugged around a 1Ds, 20D, 70-200mm, 85mm (and other things like flashes other lenses, ya-da, ya-da, but those where in my bag which I put down... which is another note, alwas make sure you gear is secure. I have a lock on it, or, if there is a DJ, put one of the arm straps around the DJs table) and I woke up the next morning mildly feeling like I had been hit by a freight train - however, during the day itself it was no problem :)

(I hope no one thinks I am bashing the 20D/30D/40D line, they are wonderful cameras and I used the 20D excluisively to second-shoot my first two weddings and it never failed me, however, if you are wanting to go into this for the long run, perhaps an upgrade would be a good idea)

It's always a pleasure to work with nice tools... it can make the work go smoother.

What matters most is results. I think a lot of us here could shoot a wedding with a point 'n' shoot and do a better job than many so-called wedding pros.

To answer the original question, I feel you can "get by" for now with your present gear. I don't want to diminish the importance of having reliable gear. But for now, while you're building your business, I think you can do fine at weddings.

On a personal note, I would NOT advise going into debt to buy gear. You'll be far better off to gradually purchase additional/upgraded gear as you go along.

I shot my first wedding with a Pentax Spotmatic, one lens and flash bulbs. Now, it wasn't long before I moved up to a strobe and roll film, but too I was moving up to more formal and expensive affairs. But, there's ALWAYS someone there with a "nicer" set-up than mine. I don't care.... just as long as my stuff does what I need it to do.

One more thought: WITHIN REASON, clients won't recognise the difference between the result you get with a Rebel or a D5. In the film days, I would bring a 6x7 to weddings for the formals, and shoot the rest with a 6x4.5, handheld. You and I could see the difference... the client NEVER did. I'm not suggesting we sluff off substandard images. What I mean is your Rebel and current lenses are adequate to deliver an perfect acceptable level of work with proper lighting and posing. It will take a bit more care while shooting. Like I said... better tools are always nice to use.

-Pete

I think people are still mis-interpreting JIP. A D70s, although capable of creating great pictures, doesn't have the same build as a D200/300. Therefore it's not as durable to withstand the rigors of wedding shooting. You may get by with your D70/80, but if you want to do this as a living, that better body and longer shutter life(not sure as I shoot Canon, but I'd assume so) pays for itself and ensures the customer gets the job they paid you for. I am getting into wedding photography and shoot with a 30D, but I know I will upgrade once I do more than a wedding a month, I value the stronger body of a 5D or the weather seals of a 1D so I can get my job done. I completely understand why JIP is suggesting not shooting with a D80 if this is more than a passing fancy because when your paycheck is dependent on your camera, you better be getting the right camera.
Thank you for trying to clear this up.

having the right look applies to everything - would you want your airline pilot wearing cutoff jeans, a muscle shirt, and a bandana? It's the real professionals who file taxes, make an initial investment in equipment, have a downtown storefront, etc. who get perturbed with aaalll the others doing wedding photography because they just happen to have a camera and a family member getting married! Thank goodness I can't buy a stethoscope and instantly become a doctor.

imo if you have a portfolio of pics and show the client and they are happy to employ you based on those pics then the camera you are using is fine.

i do weddings well i have done three and three booked for next year. i also do portraits and kids parties and wait for it i have a fuji s5000 and a fuji s5700.

[i am waiting to get totally slammed for that]

BUT my clients see my portfolio and employ me if they choose.

its not what you have got its what you do with it.

charge 3000 dollars for a wedding and show up with a disposable kodak - see what happens. Has anyone done this? It would be a nice experiment to check out the reactions. A professional should have professional equipment. Anyone edit their photos with microsoft paint?

I could have sworn I have read about a photographer who showed up at a wedding, told the party to get cozy for a shot and pulled out a disposable camera, snapped a picture of their worried expressions then pulled out his real camera - that is the kind of humour one learns to appreciate :lol:

i still think thats its the portfolio pics i would be interested in.:sexywink:

if they like the photos it should not matter what camera you have.:)

i have seen wedding togs with thousands of pounds of equipment and take awful photos. :grumpy:

and people with basic cameras for a couple hundred poud take great pics.:lol:

you either have a good eye for a pic or you have not.:)

Most reactions

Back