Wedding Reception | The Results

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
It was just the reception, so there's no formal portraits ( I asked the bride and she was happy with what the other photographer had gotten at the wedding this past week). I learned a few things -- I need to be more insistent and command the room when necessary. I need to KNOW what's happening when as a few things happened when I wasn't perfectly ready. But overall I had a good time, it was a nice reception, and I think the results are much better than I had hoped for. There's a lot of small things I need to improve on for when I shoot another event, but it's a start. Honest comments and critiques on some images would be a HUGE help.

#sylvestriwedding by f_one_eight, on Flickr

I'll upload more when I have time -- right now I'm off to a pet photo shoot and an engagement shoot.

Addition 1:

Centerpieces! by f_one_eight, on Flickr

The Cake by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Addition 2:

Candid of the Groom

The Groom by f_one_eight, on Flickr

First dance... but better? How's this one @Derrel?

First Dance by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Cheers!
Jake

Last edited:
I have no time now, either. It's a good shot of two people but it doesn't say anything to me about who they are, where they are, or why they are. He's wearing a tie and suspenders. She's wearing a string of pearls. They could be greeting each other at an office function.

Focus on their faces is pretty good. Expressions are good. I'm seldom a fan of B&W, which is a personal preference. I'd like to see the colour version.

I have no time now, either. It's a good shot of two people but it doesn't say anything to me about who they are, where they are, or why they are. He's wearing a tie and suspenders. She's wearing a string of pearls. They could be greeting each other at an office function.

Focus on their faces is pretty good. Expressions are good. I'm seldom a fan of B&W, which is a personal preference. I'd like to see the colour version.

Not every shot is supposed to give context... Is it? It'll make more sense once I post the full series. I have full body shots and all that, which I'll post later. Thanks for your quick response.

Jake

I really like it, the shapes in the background look like little ghost ( probably not intended) but seems like reminders of a happy past. I love the expressions of warmth, joy and tenderness. Focus is good and composition well balanced. Well done!

I wish this would have been a "tall".I do not like the composition at all, fundamentally. The physical closeness of their embrace is not shown. She's just the proverbial floating head, wayyyyy down at the bottom of the frame. The important stuff, like their chest-to-chest contact, and her sleeveless? lace topped? low cut? scoop neck? dress has been lost, in favor of empty space left and right. If you're going to shoot a shot like this without bothering to rotate the camera, then crop it TIGHT and show her more, by framing it way low on his ear, cropping him below the ear hole, and thus bringing her a precious few more inches of the frame. Still, this is a standing pair of people, much,much,much taller than they are wide. Horizontal framing is just wrong here.

I wish this would have been a "tall".I do not like the composition at all, fundamentally. The physical closeness of their embrace is not shown. She's just the proverbial floating head, wayyyyy down at the bottom of the frame. The important stuff, like their chest-to-chest contact, and her sleeveless? lace topped? low cut? scoop neck? dress has been lost, in favor of empty space left and right. If you're going to shoot a shot like this without bothering to rotate the camera, then crop it TIGHT and show her more, by framing it way low on his ear, cropping him below the ear hole, and thus bringing her a precious few more inches of the frame. Still, this is a standing pair of people, much,much,much taller than they are wide. Horizontal framing is just wrong here.

Thanks for the detailed response! I have plenty of vertical shots as well. This is by no means the best, just the first I was able to edit and post.

Added the two detail shots!

And the groom candid.

I quite like the centerpiece shot. Please post more. I'd like to see how this turned out for you.

I quite like the centerpiece shot. Please post more. I'd like to see how this turned out for you.

I'm slowly working through all of them. Between this and my other two shoots I have close to 2000 images to comb through and edit. Thanks for the kind words though!

I like these a lot. The processing is really nice.

I posted another one from the first dance. Any better?

The processing seems to be the "star" rather than the people. However if thats the look you were going for, then thats your choice.

For the first dance photo, I would take out the red and green lights over his shoulder.

I do like the candid shot.

I will check back for more.

The processing seems to be the "star" rather than the people. However if thats the look you were going for, then thats your choice.

For the first dance photo, I would take out the red and green lights over his shoulder.

I do like the candid shot.

I will check back for more.

Oh good call-ill remove those.

I like these and the processing!

I dislike that the groom wore suspenders and a belt. One or the other. :aufsmaul:

Can't wait to see more!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back