Wedding Shoot ::FacePalm::

PerfectlyFlawed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.feliciakelsayphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Yes, I know some of you are probably like...::Facepalm:: Ugh.. oh no..haha.

ok so here is what happened.. My best friend's brother is getting married today. He had originally hired a photographer..but he called and canceled at the last minute with some lame excuse, leaving them photographer-less. Super crappy of him.. but sh*t happens.

Thats where I come in. She called me out of desperation, asked me if I would do it. I said no.. I dont do weddings. I am no professional, no way-shape or form. NO!
I explained to her the risks, and how new I am to this... and i don't want to be liable or shunned if they come out crappy.
Well, she WILL NOT, take No for an answer.

She explained to me that there will be other Point n' shoots... and so they'd be back up .
She told me don't stress it. They know your a noob at this and will not hold it against you, they want your help and appreciate it, "besides it will be good experience for you"... ( Hey i can't disagree there! LOL)

So after some thought.. I gave in.
So here I am. All I can do is give it my BEST! and Make it Fun! :) I am going out early to check out the area, and get pre wedding shots.
It is in a Church... so I am super nervous about the lighting.

Heres my "question"...

I am WAY to new to the settings, and dont want to risk it.. so I am going to depend on the AutoMode-and The scene settings. Is Portrait good to use in a case like this ( more so than Auto)???? I know you guys are like Anti-AutoMode..lol Just work with me PLEASE LOL!

And how to turn the SOUND off on the camera ( If thats recommended )?

I Really appreciate any help or suggestions...

_____If you read this through, there are pictures. Here are links to some more as well...____

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50168689@N02/

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...um-photo-gallery/203421-janis-c-c-please.html

Last edited:
Would the 18-55mm, or the 55-200mm be better to use for this situation?? :meh: I was planning on the 200... but anyone correct me if im wrong.

the 50mm, isnt available to me right now.. so i have the two options above...=/

Last edited:
I've never done weddings before, but I've done a Baptism. Just have fun with it. Bring your tripod and remember no flash (at least during the ceremony in church). Use the 50mm , but I'm sure you'll be able to make due.

Good LUCK! (and hope she really meant that she wouldn't mind if they didn't come out well)

PS, Reallly BAD on the original photographer though. They should be ashamed.

To turn the sound off on your D-5000, push the "info" button, then go down to "shooting modes." There should be one in that list called "quiet mode." (You can use the little " ? " button to show the names of the icons.) In silent mode, your AF will not beep, and your AF lamp will not light.

If you have to choose an auto mode, I would recommend portrait over Auto.. But I would highly advise aperture priority or shutter priority if you're not comfortable with manual.

When I'm shooting in a Church, I don't like to use flash because chances are that a little pop up flash isn't going to light things evenly enough or strong enough to bother. I'd stick on your 50mm 1.8 and use it for the majority of the "action" shots during the ceremony. Keep it wide open, (or mostly wide open without loosing too much focus) and get as close as the pastor/ couple will allow you to be.

I asked the priest at this girl's quinceanera how close he was alright with having the photographer stand for pictures during the ceremony, and he said "as close as my nose if you have to!" LOL . Some pastors are great about this.. Some will say you must stand at the back of the Church >< (time for telephoto and tripod!)

But if they are comfortable with you moving around while things are happening (try to be as non distracting as possible) don't be shy and take advantage of it! You'll get your best shots this way. When I finally got over being nervous during Church events, I was able to take some of my favorite shots. Here's one during that girl's quinceanera:)

4515270719_09685ca5a6.jpg

I haven't done weddings yet (and hopefully won't be in your situation for a good long while LOL).. But I've done events in Churches and have had the best luck and control will my 50mm. Later, I like to do some wide angle shots and get more of the Church in the frame, or try some creative things- but I always have the best luck with the 50mm. Just be aware of your aperture and how much you want in focus. It's very easy to miss the focus when you shoot wide open.

Another great tip I heard that helped me a ton, was don't be afraid to boost your ISO. Especially with indoor Church photography. Will your pictures be more noisy? (possibly, probably at the highest settings..) But don't let yourself miss the perfect shot because you had to lower your shutter speed too low, or close your aperture too much all because you had "ISO fears. =P" Good exposure, fast enough shutter speeds, are much more likely to make the biggest impact on your pictures than your ISO will. It takes a good eye to notice the ISO noise in most pictures, especially if there is no camera shake, overblown exposure, or underexposer to make it more obvious.

And most importantly HAVE FUN!! What a great opportunity! I know ideally you wouldn't have to be the main photographer- you would like to second shoot, or back up, or anything but be stuck as their only photographer. But as you clearly demonstrated, you're stuck with it, so now you can make the most of it. You'll get great experience- don't be afraid to be creative! Just maybe they will be pleasantly suprised with the results =)

Best of luck!

Run and go get a flash and maybe rent a lens with f2.8. You will definitely want to use your 50 F1.8 and I would use Av mode. Extra batteries , lots of memory , and alot of prayer. Good luck and have fun.

Check this out: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/professional-gallery/20069-hot-tips-wedding-photography.html

I Dont have the 50mm in hands YET, its in the mail..lol so thats OUT.Ahh!:meh:

And something else super sucky... i live in a SMALL ass- One horse town.. NO where to get any photography equipment here.. What are the chances wal-mart has it? LMAO oh man :confused:
I knew i needed more flash... i told her there.. *sigh* She says, whatever it'll be fine.
Extra batteries. Check.
Extra memory. Check.
Back up P/S Camera ( Lol.. JUST in case.. ugh)..Check.

Run and go get a flash and maybe rent a lens with f2.8. You will definitely want to use your 50 F1.8 and I would use Av mode. Extra batteries , lots of memory , and alot of prayer. Good luck and have fun.

Check this out: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/professional-gallery/20069-hot-tips-wedding-photography.html

And something else super sucky... i live in a SMALL ass- One horse town.. NO where to get any photography equipment here.. What are the chances wal-mart has it? LMAO oh man :confused:
I knew i needed more flash... i told her there.. *sigh* She says, whatever it'll be fine.
Extra batteries. Check.
Extra memory. Check.

Yikes! Is there ANY way you can drive a little ways outside of town to a larger city with a camera shop? Renting a 2.8 or a 1.4 would be a HUGE huge asset for this wedding. (or even a camera body if you're able!).

The kit lens on the D5000 is nice, I've used it for a lot of things- but is INCREDIBLY limiting for indoor Church photography :(

I've never done weddings before, but I've done a Baptism. Just have fun with it. Bring your tripod and remember no flash (at least during the ceremony in church). Use the 50mm , but I'm sure you'll be able to make due.

Good LUCK! (and hope she really meant that she wouldn't mind if they didn't come out well)

PS, Reallly BAD on the original photographer though. They should be ashamed.
Yeah.. she said under the circumstances and last min she would bare with me...and wouldnt hold it against me.. the mother talked me into it too..

They just said make it fun, just take pics... so.. whatever i guess.lol

And yeah. shame on the Original Photographer.... grrrr. So unprofessional. heh.

Extra batteries. Check.
Extra memory. Check.

Yikes! Is there ANY way you can drive a little ways outside of town to a larger city with a camera shop? Renting a 2.8 or a 1.4 would be a HUGE huge asset for this wedding. (or even a camera body if you're able!).

The kit lens on the D5000 is nice, I've used it for a lot of things- but is INCREDIBLY limiting for indoor Church photography :(

I wish there were, I wouldnt object for a sec.

Closest place with ANYTHING, is almost 2 hours... I dont have the time to zip there and back ( 3-4 hours at tops ) I have to be out there by 1..

Extra batteries. Check.
Extra memory. Check.

Can you go to Best Buy (assuming there's one sort of close to you) and buy it? And then just return the one you ordered when it comes??? :meh:

LoL... When i said 1 horse town, I ment it literally.

We have 1 store for shopping ... WALMART.. :thumbdown: Nothing at all electronic related... super crappy huh? ( this is one good reason im moving to the City in 2 weeks..)

You know- maybe just use your kit lens during the ceremony then, even pop up flash if you have to.

When it's all done, have the couple pose for some shots and re-create the highlights of the ceremony. (the ring, the vows, the kiss...)

Then you have more control of the situation, you can sacrifice some shutter speed (if they can hold still for 1/27th of a second lol...) and walk away with some lovely shots even though you were limited.

Our photographer did the same thing at our wedding, but mostly because he didn't want to be intrusive during the ceremony. The "during" shots were meh, ok.. But it was the re-posed shots afterwards that wow'd us.

So is it ok to use the on cam flash??? or risk it without? I dont want to annoy everyone with the strobe lights..lol

and what about the * click click click* sound.... Sound off?

Its gonna be a pretty relaxed wedding, nothing huge or fancy... so theyre not expecting to much out of me... they know im walking in blind.

You know- maybe just use your kit lens during the ceremony then, even pop up flash if you have to.

When it's all done, have the couple pose for some shots and re-create the highlights of the ceremony. (the ring, the vows, the kiss...)

Then you have more control of the situation, you can sacrifice some shutter speed (if they can hold still for 1/27th of a second lol...) and walk away with some lovely shots even though you were limited.

Our photographer did the same thing at our wedding, but mostly because he didn't want to be intrusive during the ceremony. The "during" shots were meh, ok.. But it was the re-posed shots afterwards that wow'd us.

She wants lots of pre and post weddings shots... so ill be all over those..
Its the ceremony itself im like.. Ackkkkk >.<

So is it ok to use the on cam flash??? or risk it without? I dont want to annoy everyone with the strobe lights..lol

and what about the * click click click* sound.... Sound off?

You can't really turn off the click sound the shutter makes- The best I've seen is somebody who posted a "camera blimp" that goes around the body of your camera =P

But go ahead and shoot in "silent, continuous" mode and shoot a TON. I would still avoid pop up flash, you'll get lots of harsh areas, and lots of annoying shadows if you go that route.

Just shoot continuous, take a ton of pictures, and really the "click" isn't that loud except to the one taking the pictures. They know you're the photographer, so let go of any noise or instrusive inhibitions- If a mostly quiet "clicking" noise is all it takes to get them some nice pictures to remember their special day, then it's a good trade off :)

Most people don't really notice the click anyway- I've asked people after Church events if I was too intrusive, and most say they hardly noticed I was there.

Most reactions

Back