Wedding time again--more help needed

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by jocose, Feb 13, 2006.

1. jocose

jocose TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm not sure how many remember, but when I first joined, one of my first posts was asking for help on my speech for my sister's wedding. Well, guess what folks, it's that time again...yes, it hasn't even been a year and she's getting married again.

No, I'm just kidding. My other sister is getting married the first weekend in March. Sadly, I have to give a speech at that one as well. Anyway, here's my 2nd draft, and I was looking for input from all of you.

Thanks.

I guess it’s my turn to talk about our penultimate sibling. Oh, sorry, that’s the second to last sibling—B likes it when I’m pendantic (that would be pedantic for the rest of us). So, obviously, I’m the youngest sibling, Jo Cose.

They say that the more you do something the easier it gets; that’s certainly not true for this speech. In fact, I think that this was the hardest speech I’ve ever had to give. B’s and my relationship has drastically changed over the years, and I wasn’t really sure which part to talk about. You know those memories you have where you’re not sure if it’s a real memory or a photograph you’ve seen? Well I have one of those; although I know it’s a photograph, so it’s nice because I can see it again and again. I’m an infant, lying in my crib. B—and bear in mind that we are only 18 months apart—is sucking her thumb and holding a baby-bottle for me to drink out of. The reasons I like that picture/memory so much are because it’s such a tender moment of love ... and I have proof that she was nice to me once. And that was probably the last time for a long time. It wasn’t until B went to college that we started getting along better. Today, we get along just fine provided she isn’t tired or hungry or sitting on the couch…or awake. Actually, that’s not really fair. She can be very nice to me, especially when I have food she wants a bite of or when she’s lost and 3,000 miles from DC in a city I’ve never been to and calls me for directions. In all honesty, I like that picture because it always reminds me that no matter how much we fight or yell at each other, we’re still always there fore each other, whether it be her feeding me or me reading mapquest to her.

Fortunately, B was lucky to find S. I mean, I’m her brother, so I HAVE to put up with her; he volunteered. Since I met S, I’ve been planning a speech to warn him about all the things he should be prepared to deal with, but every time I’ve tried to point out one of B’s idiosyncrasies, he would always respond, “I know, I know.” So, I figure that if he knew what he was getting himself into and is still here, then the two of them are going to be alright.

The best way to ensure that they will be alright is to actually say it. In Judaism, words are important and powerful. This is the basis for adding Chaim, which means life, to a sick person’s name; the concept of loshen hora, talking about people; and the expression Kayna hora, an incantation to ward off the evil eye.

So, as I said, the best way to ensure their happiness together is to say it aloud: “L'chaim tovim u'me'oosharim! To a happy and wonderful life together!”

2. Traci

Traci when you wish upon a star...

I like it! :thumbsup: It's thoughtful and funny...great job! :clap:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    At my wedding, I ended with this...

Being in Love is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it...but only you can feel the warmth.

• Like Like x 1
  4. mentos_007

mentos_007 The Freshmaker!

Photos OK to edit
    hahahahaha that's great!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. jocose

jocose TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

:lmao: Mike, you told me about this when I posted my first speech....although you said that you heard it at a wedding. But in all fairness, you weren't married yet :)

I don't think that would go over so well :)

Thanks everyone.

6. kelox

kelox TPF Noob!

Coming to you live from Planet MAXXUM, home of the
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Run with this one.

7. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Actually, I think it was someone else here that I heard it from.

I was a little worried that some of the older folks might be offended...but did it anyway. It went over great. Everybody was in stitches and I must have had 200 people that night, tell me how funny it was. My brother said he was going to put it on a T-shirt.

Really, it's not that offensive at all.

Your speech is pretty good too. :)

8. jocose

jocose TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My sister might think it's funny, but my mom certainly wouldn't! Especially given that "Pee" was as dirty a word in my house the "f*ck" is in most other homes...my mom has always hated that word :lmao:

9. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Well, that certainly is the opposite to my childhood :lol: ...I guess you know what you're doing.

10. Oldfireguy

Oldfireguy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Don't write a speech. Talk with your heart. Let it be natural.

11. jocose

jocose TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I wouldn't say that.

Oh, and that wasn't to imply that we were allowed to say the F word either :)

Oddly, $hit was never a problem with my mom...funny how that seems to work.

12. jocose

jocose TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That could be dangerous...We aren't very warm affectionate folk...sarcastic and caustic is closer to my family.