Wedding

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Lynnzora, Jun 4, 2009.

1. Lynnzora

Lynnzora TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello everyone, I have a question for you. I'm shooting a wedding as practice. The couple has already hired a photographer but would like to have me as a second person to get some shots for experience and my portfolio.

Problem: I do way better at shooting in natural light. The wedding is on a yaght but in doors. The bride believes that it will be bright enough during the day but the reception goes into the night. So it should be darker then.

I have a Pentax K20d.

lenses 15-55 kit lens
    and 50 mm 1.4 (probably what I'll use)

I bought an off brand off camera flash Bower SF829TW

What else would you suggest that I purchase if anything?

Would you all say that I should have to get great shots in low light. I know that my lens is fast but in low light photos still tend to come out blury. Would you all suggest a strobe? I will be reading up on this tonight but would appreciate your input to point me in the right direction. Thanks. ;)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  2. Lynnzora

Lynnzora TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Help me please:hug:: :lol:

3. johnbergsing

johnbergsing TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A set of color correction gels would be nice. It is so important to get it as close to "right" in camera as you can. Also, plan on bouncing that flash off of the ceiling. And last but not least, PRACTICE with the bouncing and gels prior to the event. The more comfortable you are with your equipment/techniques, the better images you'll produce when the heat is on!

4. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It depends on how low of light the low light is, but you should be able to get by with a relatively low shutter speed with a flash as the strobe will freeze the motion for you.

Here's an example I just shot a few moments ago.

[​IMG]

My son is moving around like crazy. My camera settings are:

ISO: 100
    Aperture: f/5
    Shutter: 1/125
    Flash: fired / bounced from ceiling

Now, I could have gotten the same shot with a shutter speed of 1/50 if I wanted since I was firing my flash.

Example:

Same time, but the camera settings are different this time but he isn't moving around as much.

[​IMG]

ISO: 100
    Aperture: f/5
    Shutter: 1/50
    Flash: fired / bounced from ceiling

The longer you drag the shutter, the more light you get from the background. But if you're shooting people dancing at a reception, I would find the shutter speed that works best and get the best bounce angle you can on the flash.

Also, you will want to put a bounce card on your flash if it doesn't have one. You can make one with an index card and a rubber band.

5. Lynnzora

Lynnzora TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok get some gels and get practice bouncing it off of the ceiling. Thanks for the input... All you can think of would be appreciated. I need to play with the off camera flash a little more... I just got it and the pics I take with it seem to be too bright.

6. Lynnzora

Lynnzora TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Your son is too cute btw!!!

7. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

If you plan this as practice to be a future wedding shooter then I sat DEFINATLY GET A FLASH. Natural light is nice when you have it but you can not depend on always having it. Learning how to use a flash properly is a key skill in shooting weddings. Be sure to take advantage of this time to experiment as much as you possibly can with as many diffrent techniques you can think of. It is great to be able to shoot and not have anyone rely on you to produce the critical images.

8. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    If you do absolutely NOTHING else, make sure you shoot in RAW!!!!

9. Lynnzora

Lynnzora TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yep I learned that shooting in raw can do miracles. Thanks guys. So I got that I should shoot in Raw, look into getting some gels for color correction. I have my off camera flash that I need to practice with a little more. My prime lens is pretty fast... Any other suggestions for those of you that have shot in low light.... Like at an indoors event.

10. inTempus

inTempus TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks. :)

He's my little pride and joy.

11. atbawrps

atbawrps TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Does the hired pro know this? Best advice is to stay out of the way while you're "practicing."

12. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Ummm... I'd disagree with this. Meet with the "pro" before hand, discuss what sorts of things he/she might want assistance with and if he/she is willing to provide any tips, guidance, mentorship. I don't do a lot of weddings, but when I do and there's a "family" photographer, I always try and talk to them before hand. One thing I like to is to have the second roam the church while I'm waiting for the Bride to make her entrance.