Wedding....

duncanp

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.duncanphilpott.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
coming up easter weekend i have my first wedding to informally photograph...

they dont want the standard everyone line up pics and mainly candids in B&W do any of you have any ideas of what to do and take.. maybe what films to use or any thing i should buy

i have....

EOS 888 35mm SLR with a Canon 28-90mm F4-5.6 and a Canon 80-200mm F4.5-5.6 with built in flash

Panasonic Lumix FZ20 with 36-432mm F2.8 and Olympus T18 Flash

Olympus 101m PF with 35-70mm F4-4.5 and 80-200mm F4-5 with Olympus T18 Flash

any help, advice, suggestions, comments or anything is welcome

Thanks

Duncan

So you are just shooting the informal stuff, and they have a pro to shoot the formal stuff?

Avoid the use of on-camera flash. Either use an accessory flash above the camera (even better would be a tilt flash to bounce the light)...or use no flash when possible. A fast lens (F1.8) and fast film (800-1600) will help if you shoot without a flash.

If you can, I'd suggest trying to get a fast lens for either of the film cameras. 50mm F1.8 is usually quite cheap.

Are you familiar with real B&W film? If not, C-41 (color process) B&W film is pretty good and it can be developed at any lab.

kk thanks very much,

i have some ilford XP2 Super iso 400, would that be ok or too grainy?

the two film bodies came from my dad and uncle but i have also inherited these; a Zenit e and an old old Agfa

IMG_0709.jpg

Take a couple of choices of film, if it is sunny (easter is late this year remember) then an ISO 100 might be better, and you will have the light to use this speed film.

Just circulate as the pro is lining groups up, and take photos of people as they chat waiting their turn. Don't ask for poses, a lot of people will be in "open" groups, and sometimes just a polite "this way please" gets their heads turned to you, and away you go.

Don't (I said don't...) get in the way of the paid guy. i know one pro wedding photographer well, top guy, superb photographer, but if you get in his way or murmer "suggestions" to him, he looses it big style.

If you don't have to worry about the formals, then have some fun with the shots. Capture some giggle shots, the bridal couple will love them.
Candids capture the essence of a person. Relax and go with it and you'll set everyone else at ease too.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back