weddings and post processing

Discussion in 'Photographic Discussions' started by jols, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jols

jols TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    ok cat amongst the pigeons time.

wedding tog are expensive. FACT

the togs say its cause the hours they put in. FACT.

THERE IS A DAYS WORK AND ALL THE POST PROCESSING.

so if they took a great pic in the first place and did not need hours and hours of post processing would nt their job be easier and then they could lower their prices.;)

so the moral of this thread is take a decent pic straight off

2. monkeykoder

monkeykoder TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'll say this in their defense. A wedding is supposed to be a perfect day and let's just say not all people look perfect... But everybody deserves to feel like for at least that one day everything, and everyone was perfect.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The time that we put it, is only one way of justifying the cost.

It's not just about the time...it's about the style and expertise. Not everyone can put up with the pressure of a wedding and still be able to create beautiful photos. A wedding is (or is supposed to be) a once in a lifetime event...there is very little room for error.

Film photographers probably didn't put in as much time as digital photographers...but their prices were about the same.

4. jols

jols TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i do weddings so i know about the time involved i just think some well overcharge and then blame it on pp, which i think should be minimal if you got it nearly right when taking the pic

5. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I guess that depends if you (and the client) want images that look like they came right out of the camera.

I touch up things like blemishes etc. Some do a lot more....and that's what attracts their clients. Look at elsapet for example...

6. jols

jols TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i see what you are saying and i ear i may be repeatiing myself but take the pic right in the first place.

and i know the mark up of prints so i stick by what i say.

most togs are well over priced.

7. ScottS

ScottS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I disagree!!! I think way to many are not charging enough!

Oh yea and not to mention, it doesnt matter if you take a good exposure in the first place, I edit them all to get 'that look' that makes me different than all the people with the P&S. (Thats just me maybe )

8. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Photography is less of a trade and more of an art...and art is worth what people are willing to pay for it.

If you are paying an electrician to wire your house...all you want is the job done right and to pay as low a price as possible. If one electrician charged more but still did the job right (the same level of service)...then they might be considered over priced.

Shooting a wedding isn't just about snapping photos and getting good exposures 'in-camera'. In other words...just doing 'the job right' isn't enough. Or at least it shouldn't be, for photographers who charge a good amount.

What the client is paying for, is to have artwork created...and that doens't come cheap...unless we are talking about gluing macaroni onto construction paper.

9. mrodgers

mrodgers No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Question, how much time is involved in wedding photography?

Most folks here understand post processing. I'm trialling Lightroom myself at the moment. I'm reading lots on it as well. Seems that you can process one photo from a shoot, then apply that process to the majority of the photos of the same location (ie, outside shots, then ceremony shots, then the reception, thus 3 processings and applying).

So, I paid $650 for my wedding photographer. I recieved ~$40 worth of prints, if that. So, I would have to assume that either the photographer did 24 hours worth of processing on my photos, or she was very much overpaid. I'm going to guess that she was very much overpaid myself.

It's simple greed that makes people think that they are worth $100+ per hour. What a photographer makes in a few hours work, takes other folks 2 weeks to make and that is just greed.

It's not really the photographer's fault though. It is the consumer's fault for continuously paying that. Just like the price of cars. If we didn't constantly purchase cars at the ridiculous prices they are going for, they wouldn't cost that much any more.

And the markup on prints is nothing but robbery. It costs $3 for an 8x10 print, photographers are just greedy when they mark it up to $20

10. ScottS

ScottS TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have soooo many problems with your post, and your ignorance to shooting weddings really shows here.
    One of the things you dont consider is all of the equipment that they use. Getting to the point where you can even shoot a wedding cost A LOT! ( Having all pro gear, and then a backup for every piece of equipment) NOT, to mention all of the batteries and other things like gas.

After you get out of all the things that it cost the photographer to actually DO the weddings, there is all the other things. Weddings are a lot more work than i think you realize, so before you go and call photographers who want more than $700 for doing a wedding, ROBBERS maybe you should get a clue...

Oh and another thing, batch processing, isnt really that good of an idea for wedding photography, because the shots differ SO much, applying one edit to all the photos or even 1/3 of the photos, would be stupid.

11. MissMia

MissMia TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How much are the memories from your wedding worth? The photos/video are all you have left when your special day is over. I'm glad I had an artist for a photographer that captured our day perfectly.

12. Mike_E

Mike_E No longer a newbie, moving up!

The Upper West Side of Mississippi (you have no i
    Photos OK to edit
    If you can take 600 photos in a 10 hour day and have every one of them perfect then you are worth WAY more than most every photog out there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.