Weddings - how do you edit?

DGMPhotography

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello there,

I was wondering, how much work do wedding photographers put into post and what do they do? I know with portraiture I do the usual stuff like cloning out distracting backgrounds, removing blemishes, sometimes smoothing the skin... but what about weddings? The focus is more on the wedding itself and the atmosphere, right? I can understand cloning distracting elements, but do you take the time to remove blemishes from every photo?

I'm sort of thinking about it it event terms. Like with concerts and stuff I do a lot less editing, barely anything with the skin unless it's super distracting. Would weddings be the same way? If not, should you charge more because of it?

Thanks!

If I notice it, I fix it.

However, before I would take 1,500 photos maybe even more.

But lately I've been finding myself taking way less, maybe 400-500.

I still get all my shots, I just haven't been trigger happy.

That way it's a lot easier going through 400 photos rather than 1,500.

I edit them ALL, exposure, white balance, etc.

But I only fully edit a select few and those will be the ones I showcase first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good advice, thanks! But what do you mean by "showcase"?

Display first on my website, share with you guys, send mass group texts out, etc.

When we have our final sit down, to give them whatever they ordered and get the final payment, these will be the photos I show them, usually 20 or so. I put them in a storyboard fashion, beginning to end duh :)

I would do skin edits on portraits and any really obvious shots of the bride.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Display first on my website, share with you guys, send mass group texts out, etc.

When we have our final sit down, to give them whatever they ordered and get the final payment, these will be the photos I show them, usually 20 or so. I put them in a storyboard fashion, beginning to end duh :)

Okay, then I suppose that's just a matter of process. I'm treating this like I normally do portraits. I've taken the pictures, and I'm giving her all the ones I think turned out well. Not really a choosing thing.

I've seen some photographers who heavily edit all the photos they show the client. I've seen others who do almost nothing until after the client has seen them and chosen their favourites.

Firstly, one of the things I try to do for a wedding, is really cut down on the number of images. They don't need to see 5 versions of every moment/pose. This cuts down on the number of images that will need to be further processed.

I have a workflow that I use, basic adjustment etc. that I use for all the images that have made the cut. This may involve some editing of blemishes but I'll pay more attention to the most important images (first kiss), and less attention to other images (11:00pm dancing with the drunk groomsmen).

After basic adjustments, I may take some special care with my favourite images. Maybe shooting them from LR, over to PS and back.

Sometimes, that is enough. If they are purchasing an album or prints, I may take some extra time to apply a little more artistry, but again, it really depends on what they expect. A fair number of my wedding clients have told me that they don't want heavily altered images.

Either way, I will take a few of them and give them an artistic copy/version.

1. Import (setting up SEO-friendly metadata for the set), cull in LR5, using star rating system to separate the trash from the keepers and the "wow" we know we'll feature.
2. Color correct and apply our base preset, which usually bumps the saturation, midtone contrast and clarity a bit.
3. Crop as needed to find the perfect compositions for the set.
4. For the images we know will get lots of air time or be used in the album, we pull into photoshop CS6 and do a "full edit" on them, including cloning, airbrushing, dodge/burn, color balance, etc.
5. Back to LR5 for export and upload.

Depending on the client and their expectations (and how much we like them) we spend extra time on polishing sometimes.

1. Import (setting up SEO-friendly metadata for the set), cull in LR5, using star rating system to separate the trash from the keepers and the "wow" we know we'll feature.
2. Color correct and apply our base preset, which usually bumps the saturation, midtone contrast and clarity a bit.
3. Crop as needed to find the perfect compositions for the set.
4. For the images we know will get lots of air time or be used in the album, we pull into photoshop CS6 and do a "full edit" on them, including cloning, airbrushing, dodge/burn, color balance, etc.
5. Back to LR5 for export and upload.

Depending on the client and their expectations (and how much we like them) we spend extra time on polishing sometimes.

And I'm assuming you charge a lot more than $250, am I correct?

That does sound like the idea process. Could you explain what SEO-friendly metadata would look like? I never thought of that!

i'm guessing

Wedding Photography
Bride Portrait
Sexy Bride
Brides gone wild

:D

And I'm assuming you charge a lot more than $250, am I correct?

That does sound like the idea process. Could you explain what SEO-friendly metadata would look like? I never thought of that!

Our wedding packages start at $2600 for bare bones "day of" coverage only. Our most popular package includes a 2hr E-session and hardback album for $3600. Most clients spend an avg of about $4k when you include print purchases and parent albums.

Lightroom allows you to set up keywords and custom file naming in the library module, and also the import window. It's extremely important for SEO that every single image displayed on your blog or website are properly keyworded and titled.

I.e.

Filename: John Smith engagement photography 140905 - 1
Keywords: Dallas wedding photographer, wedding photographer, White Rock Lake engagements, engagement photographer, sunset portrait, lake, Smith, 2014

^^ That's a typical filename/keyword set up for one of my images. Lightroom makes it EXTREMELY simple to make all of your content very SEO-friendly. It doesn't by any means guarantee you a first page ranking, but it certainly doesn't hurt.

Cheers!

I process the color of all of the delivered photos. I dont usually clone stuff out unless it is an image I will blog or go to the wedding album.

Our wedding packages start at $2600 for bare bones "day of" coverage only. Our most popular package includes a 2hr E-session and hardback album for $3600. Most clients spend an avg of about $4k when you include print purchases and parent albums. ... Lightroom allows you to set up keywords and custom file naming in the library module, and also the import window. It's extremely important for SEO that every single image displayed on your blog or website are properly keyworded and titled. I.e. Filename: John Smith engagement photography 140905 - 1 Keywords: Dallas wedding photographer, wedding photographer, White Rock Lake engagements, engagement photographer, sunset portrait, lake, Smith, 2014 ^^ That's a typical filename/keyword set up for one of my images. Lightroom makes it EXTREMELY simple to make all of your content very SEO-friendly. It doesn't by any means guarantee you a first page ranking, but it certainly doesn't hurt. Cheers!

I have never really thought about key wording my photos for better SEO. learned something today.

Most reactions

Back