Weekend Butterflies

Olcoot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographicendeavors.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Last Friday the weather forecast for Saturday was rain and more rain so Janice and I decide to get up early and go back the the Butterfly House in Whitehouse, OH and make another attempt to improve on our butterfly shots. We had a great time and truly enjoyed ourselves, there were lots of people and although some of the butterflies were not in top condition (tattered wings) I am happy for most part with the end result. Here a few of my favorites from the shoot and I have uploaded many more shots to a new folder on our website. Please click the link to take a look and then watch the slide show or just browse through the shots. I think you will enjoy seeing some amazingly beautiful and colorful insects as the diversity of nature never fails to astound me.

Butterflies 2009

(1)
p1033305505-4.jpg

(2)
p852290905-5.jpg

(3)
p1065227623-4.jpg

(4)
p742132644-4.jpg

(5)
p549866626-4.jpg

(6)
p974908763-4.jpg

Wow...these are some great butterfly shots. 1, 3, and 6 are standouts for me. I'm particularly impressed with your spot on focus and great use of lighting...very natural feeling.

I'd be interested in hearing more about your flash setup...in particular what you used to soften the light. I get similar results when shooting through an umbrella (but not very practical) but usually get minor hotspots with just a stofen diffuser.

Hello Nate,

Thank you for you comments. All of the butterfly shots were taken with Nikon D200 and a Sigma 150 mm f/2.8 macro lens with the Nikon R1 macro speedlights attached.

I think they're all very nice, but I especially like the first one. Just beautiful.

Stellar captures in deed

Thank You roentarre

Beautiful pictures, I'm sure it was really hard to get absolutely sharp focus as the butterflies always on the move!

Thank You Al-Wazeer, These little guys can be a real challange to shoot, especially at the shallow DOF needed to blur the BG

I think they're all very nice, but I especially like the first one. Just beautiful.

Thank You Dagwood

Most reactions

Back