Weekly challenge - Before and After 1/6 - 1/12

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Most photos are enhanced with a little post processing- whether it’s some subtle sharpening, a crop, some serious exposure rescuing or over the top hdr cooking. Let’s see your skill at taking a photo from blah to good, from good to great or from great to wow!

Post the original and the enhanced versions. Fuji shooters who convert and make adjustments in camera can post the jpeg and the converted file. For the sooc purists, the anti pp protesters and the jpeg lovers - you can play too by showing your skill at getting it right in camera.

As always - please use new photos that have been taken for this challenge. Can you process an old photo for the first time? Only if you’re snowed in or under the weather and have no other choice!

1.) in camera, XT2, 80mm Macro
DSCF2780.jpg

2. Post camera XT2, 80mm, gimp

DSCF2780E.jpg

Fun with reflections.

Before:
MJK_4911.jpg

After:
MJK_4909-small_DxO.jpg

Last edited:
Got the idea from a Fujifilm Youtuber. Since I have a collection of silicon wafers, I thought I would dig them out and give them a try. I used to use them for abstract art ideas, place them under a high powered magnification viewer. But never could get the detail I'm getting now. They are very dangerous if you break them, razor sharp. Anyway, shot this in jpeg. Bumped the saturation, vibrancy, and crushed the blacks. Shot in 1:1 format. Used Cactus RF60X Flash, hand held. You can get a variety of colors and effects depending on the angle of piece, flash. You can play with the power of the flash as well to create different effects. The possibilities are endless. Just trying to figure this 80mm macro out, it has a super short DOF, even at f/16. Got so used to the 60mm macro, this is a different animal all together.

1. SOOC JPEG. XT2, 80mm Macro, 1/170s @f/16, ISO400. Cactus trigger and flash
DSCF2838.JPG

2. Gimped image. Bumped vibrancy, saturation, and crushed the blacks.
DSCF2838E.jpg

Severe crop from 1:1 jpeg, to isolate the anthers and see what is possible with this 80mm macro. Also juiced the vibrancy and saturation. This is really more about testing out a new lens but having fun while doing it.

1. SOOC JPEG. 3s @f/22, ISO200, -3EC
DSCF2877.JPG

2. 3:2 crop of anthers. Juiced color
DSCF2877E.jpg

I wish for a little more vertical room on the bottom of that second crop. IMO no wider, just about half the length to the bottom of the first crop. I like the way the maroon? color floats off the nice bright green.

Amazing level of detail @jcdeboever wish I had that 80mm here today when I found my garage door covered with frosty flakes! This is the one that I did the most post processing on as there were a lot of spots (dirty sliders that don’t get used during winter). I have a few others that I’ll post in another thread.

Before:

After. Bumped contrast and removed blue tint:

Amazing level of detail @jcdeboever wish I had that 80mm here today when I found my garage door covered with frosty flakes! This is the one that I did the most post processing on as there were a lot of spots (dirty sliders that don’t get used during winter). I have a few others that I’ll post in another thread.

Before:

After. Bumped contrast and removed blue tint:

I really think it's gonna be a good lens once I figure it out. I've got to pay attention to the DOF. I took a couple of pics of my pets today, over in the furry family update thread. Incredible resolution.

XPro2, 60mm Macro. All these could have been done in camera but I wrote down what I thought, I was correct so I guess I know the camera well enough.

1. SOOC, incamera converted from raw to JPEG
DSCF6696.jpg

2. Processed, took about a minute. Bumped the shadows down, increased vibrancy, bumped highlight down a touch
DSCF6696E.jpg

3. SOOC JPEG 1:1 Large Fine
DSCF6698.jpg

4. Processed, took about a minute. Bumped the shadows down, increased vibrancy, bumped highlight down a touch.
DSCF6698E.jpg

XPro2, 60mm Macro. All these could have been done in camera but I wrote down what I thought, I was correct so I guess I know the camera well enough.

1. SOOC, incamera converted from raw to JPEG
View attachment 151876

2. Processed, took about a minute. Bumped the shadows down, increased vibrancy, bumped highlight down a touch
View attachment 151877

3. SOOC JPEG 1:1 Large Fine
View attachment 151878

4. Processed, took about a minute. Bumped the shadows down, increased vibrancy, bumped highlight down a touch.
View attachment 151879
Well done!

I want to thank @SquarePeg for this thread. It really helped me get back on track after using a Minolta Maxxum 9 for a month or two. It really disturbed my shooting mojo.

XT2, 80mm macro. Acros simulation, not custom in first one, JPEG 1:1. Second one was post. Added a vignette, lowered shadows, bumped clarity, crushed black. Took a minute. This is not the same image I took for another thread. This was specific to the assignment. It just looks real similar because it was done in the same time frame.

1. SOOC, JPEG, Acros, 1:1
DSCF2854.jpg

2. vignette, lowered shadows, bumped clarity, crushed black. .48s to edit
DSCF2854E.jpg

Most reactions

Back