Weekly challenge - best of 2017 12/30 - 1/5

Discussion in 'Photo Themes' started by SquarePeg, Dec 29, 2017.

1. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Hear me roar Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    This week is a week off from shooting to get organized and follow through on your 2017 work. Each day post 1-2 of your favorites from 2017. Post a bit about what you like about it and ask for some feedback on how it could be improved either in post or with a reshoot. At the end of the week choose one to have printed/framed and DO IT! Follow up to show a pic of the final product.

• Like Like x 1
  2. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    From a farm auction held back in November. My cousin 2 years my senior passed away in December of 2016 after a year long bout with cancer. His wife finally got around to disposing of the remaining equipment and odds and ends. While nothing all that special about the photo, I only gave it a cursory glance, converted it to a B&W and upload it to social media. That's where it stirred up a firestorm of speculation and wonder among family and friends who knew my cousin. After going back and looking I see it now myself. The man on the right, in the cap and dark hooded jacket looking down is a reincarnation (or very close copy) of my deceased cousin. The face, the way he's dressed, the way he's standing, everything. Adding to the mystery no one knew the man or where he came from and apparently hadn't registered nor bought anything. The stories were running rampant in the little farming community where they lived that my cousin had returned to oversee his own sale. So while maybe not my best shot, it's the one that generated the most interest, likes and shares of 2017.

[​IMG]Auction11042017_360-Edit.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 10
  3. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    ^^weird story smoke

This photo is one of my favorites because of the detail and sharpness captured by my “cheap” 50-230 f/4.5-6.7 lens at full zoom. Shot this at my uncle’s house during a family party. There were bees everywhere after his next door neighbor, who keeps bees as a hobby, had 2 of his 3 hives collapse the day before. The screen house was pretty popular that day.

F/6.7, ss 1/500, ISO 640
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  4. snowbear

snowbear Big Furball Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Since my "best" are few and far between, for this challenge I'll go with my "favorites".

These two go together. They were part of the Second Chance challenge. I was sitting in MLW's office, waiting for her to finish up for the night, and had an orange. I was in a happy mood, so I thought of this to do, actually a photo based on a challenge ink drawing I did a while back. There is really nothing special - I just placed the orange on a paper plate and shot it with the phone. I did spent a little more on them that I would with an everyday snapshot. I'd liked to have had some lighting options or the DSLR.

The first is, obviously, the photo that I found a flaw in. I think I said something about not liking the paper in the background, and the direction of the wood grain on the table. Number two, then, is the re-shoot after I "made it all better."

[​IMG]
    Untitled
    by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Untitled
    by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 7
  5. CherylL

CherylL No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Cool photo and heartwarming story. My cousin has had visions and said that there are signs if we are open to seeing them.

6. acparsons

acparsons No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    • Like Like x 7
  7. snowbear

Photos OK to edit
    Darn - I know I posted a comment on the others but I don't see it. I need a drink, or sleep, or something!

Smoke - Interesting story. I was going to make a pun joke but thought better of it.

Sharon - Nice. That might make a good (and challenging) watercolor subject.

acparsons - I like the second one. On the first, I'd like to see the building a little further to the right, so the tower is between the man in the middle and the man on the right.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
    • Like Like x 9
  9. SquarePeg

Photos OK to edit
    Muir Woods is one of the prettiest places I’ve ever been. Just gorgeous!

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. snowbear

Photos OK to edit
    And quiet. Very quiet, without the tourists.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Peeb

Peeb Semi-automatic Mediocrity Generator Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I know- almost FREAKY quiet- we noticed that too.

12. Philmar

Philmar Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Only 2 huh? Hmmmmm...
    Lake Ontario was at it's highest level in a generation. Even the jetties were submerged. Bought a pair of rubber boots just for this shot, prayed for a nice sunset which I didn't quite get...but the plan came through in the end. Used a tripod and a timer and had to waddle out to the end of the jetty in 30 seconds
    [​IMG]Yours truly taking a long walk on a short submerged pier - Balmy Beach, Toronto by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Had to climb to the top of a hill on a trail I had to first find, then negotiate in the pre-dawn darkness. Once again hoping for a nice sunrise...as it got lighter I saw instead that it was foggy and overcast, Luckily I was too tired and demoralized to return to the hotel right away. I say around just listening to the sounds of the city and soon realized the fog was slowly melting away revealing only partially what I'd wanted to capture. Luck fortunes the lazy sometimes.
    [​IMG]Foggy mist over Budhist stupa topped hills of Mrauk U, Myanmar by Phil Marion, on Flickr

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 6