Weekly challenge - best of 2017 12/30 - 1/5

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This week is a week off from shooting to get organized and follow through on your 2017 work. Each day post 1-2 of your favorites from 2017. Post a bit about what you like about it and ask for some feedback on how it could be improved either in post or with a reshoot. At the end of the week choose one to have printed/framed and DO IT! Follow up to show a pic of the final product.

From a farm auction held back in November. My cousin 2 years my senior passed away in December of 2016 after a year long bout with cancer. His wife finally got around to disposing of the remaining equipment and odds and ends. While nothing all that special about the photo, I only gave it a cursory glance, converted it to a B&W and upload it to social media. That's where it stirred up a firestorm of speculation and wonder among family and friends who knew my cousin. After going back and looking I see it now myself. The man on the right, in the cap and dark hooded jacket looking down is a reincarnation (or very close copy) of my deceased cousin. The face, the way he's dressed, the way he's standing, everything. Adding to the mystery no one knew the man or where he came from and apparently hadn't registered nor bought anything. The stories were running rampant in the little farming community where they lived that my cousin had returned to oversee his own sale. So while maybe not my best shot, it's the one that generated the most interest, likes and shares of 2017.

Auction11042017_360-Edit.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Last edited:
^^weird story smoke

This photo is one of my favorites because of the detail and sharpness captured by my “cheap” 50-230 f/4.5-6.7 lens at full zoom. Shot this at my uncle’s house during a family party. There were bees everywhere after his next door neighbor, who keeps bees as a hobby, had 2 of his 3 hives collapse the day before. The screen house was pretty popular that day.

F/6.7, ss 1/500, ISO 640

Since my "best" are few and far between, for this challenge I'll go with my "favorites".

These two go together. They were part of the Second Chance challenge. I was sitting in MLW's office, waiting for her to finish up for the night, and had an orange. I was in a happy mood, so I thought of this to do, actually a photo based on a challenge ink drawing I did a while back. There is really nothing special - I just placed the orange on a paper plate and shot it with the phone. I did spent a little more on them that I would with an everyday snapshot. I'd liked to have had some lighting options or the DSLR.

The first is, obviously, the photo that I found a flaw in. I think I said something about not liking the paper in the background, and the direction of the wood grain on the table. Number two, then, is the re-shoot after I "made it all better."

Untitled
by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

Untitled
by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

Last edited:
From a farm auction held back in November. My cousin 2 years my senior passed away in December of 2016 after a year long bout with cancer. His wife finally got around to disposing of the remaining equipment and odds and ends. While nothing all that special about the photo, I only gave it a cursory glance, converted it to a B&W and upload it to social media. That's where it stirred up a firestorm of speculation and wonder among family and friends who knew my cousin. After going back and looking I see it now myself. The man on the right, in the cap and dark hooded jacket looking down is a reincarnation (or very close copy) of my deceased cousin. The face, the way he's dressed, the way he's standing, everything. Adding to the mystery no one knew the man or where he came from and apparently hadn't registered nor bought anything. The stories were running rampant in the little farming community where they lived that my cousin had returned to oversee his own sale. So while maybe not me best shot, it's the one that generated the most interest, likes and shares of 2017.

Auction11042017_360-Edit.jpg by William Raber, on Flickr

Cool photo and heartwarming story. My cousin has had visions and said that there are signs if we are open to seeing them.

Darn - I know I posted a comment on the others but I don't see it. I need a drink, or sleep, or something!

Smoke - Interesting story. I was going to make a pun joke but thought better of it.

Sharon - Nice. That might make a good (and challenging) watercolor subject.

acparsons - I like the second one. On the first, I'd like to see the building a little further to the right, so the tower is between the man in the middle and the man on the right.

Last edited:
Muir Woods is one of the prettiest places I’ve ever been. Just gorgeous!

Only 2 huh? Hmmmmm...
Lake Ontario was at it's highest level in a generation. Even the jetties were submerged. Bought a pair of rubber boots just for this shot, prayed for a nice sunset which I didn't quite get...but the plan came through in the end. Used a tripod and a timer and had to waddle out to the end of the jetty in 30 seconds
Yours truly taking a long walk on a short submerged pier - Balmy Beach, Toronto by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Had to climb to the top of a hill on a trail I had to first find, then negotiate in the pre-dawn darkness. Once again hoping for a nice sunrise...as it got lighter I saw instead that it was foggy and overcast, Luckily I was too tired and demoralized to return to the hotel right away. I say around just listening to the sounds of the city and soon realized the fog was slowly melting away revealing only partially what I'd wanted to capture. Luck fortunes the lazy sometimes.
Foggy mist over Budhist stupa topped hills of Mrauk U, Myanmar by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Only 2 huh? Hmmmmm...
Lake Ontario was at it's highest level in a generation. Even the jetties were submerged. Bought a pair of rubber boots just for this shot, prayed for a nice sunset which I didn't quite get...but the plan came through in the end. Used a tripod and a timer and had to waddle out to the end of the jetty in 30 seconds...
Please post more tomorrow!

Had to climb to the top of a hill on a trail I had to first find, then negotiate in the pre-dawn darkness. Once again hoping for a nice sunrise...as it got lighter I saw instead that it was foggy and overcast, Luckily I was too tired and demoralized to return to the hotel right away. I say around just listening to the sounds of the city and soon realized the fog was slowly melting away revealing only partially what I'd wanted to capture. Luck fortunes the lazy sometimes.
Foggy mist over Budhist stupa topped hills of Mrauk U, Myanmar by Phil Marion, on Flickr
Beautiful shot! So, when can I be expecting my luck?

Having done very little film photography for a year or so the urge returned a few weeks ago. Agfa APX is the B&W film that is readily available where I live and has rapidly become my go to choice. After doing a little research on the net, however, the popular opinion was that APX 400 doesn't like being pushed very much, but I'm very happy with some of the results I got from my first test film. This was taken using APX 400 pushed to 1600. It's a crop showing about half of the frame (the original is attached as a thumbnail).
toby close up.jpg
toby close  up original frame.jpg

It came out quite nicely, I think.

(Adox Adonal developer 1+25 mix at 20°C for 30 minutes with slight initial agitation and one inversion half way through. Adox rapid fixer 1+9 mix with a distilled water stop bath in between)

The camera was a Revue AC-3s with a 50mm (f1.4 to f22) Revuenon lens with yellow filter. I didn't note what f-stop this is but think it's probably about f4 or so.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back