Weekly challenge - best of 2017 12/30 - 1/5

Getting ready to brave the other drivers in this snow storm.

This is one of the studios at the Maine College of Art, taken back in the summer (no tables or stools). Two of the people that were on the school tour with us.
Nikon D40, AF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 (kit) @ 18mm; 1/500 @ f/5.6, ISO 800. Converted to B&W in LR.

DSC_7013.jpg
by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

Apples in the truck at Clyde's Cider Mill, Old Mystic, CT.
Nikon D750, AF 28-85mm f/3.5-4.5 Nikkor @ 85mm; 1/640 @ f/4.5; ISO 100

DSC_0851.jpg
by Charlie Wrenn, on Flickr

Just the pure luck of coming across a Coopers hawk within a minute or two of a kill is pretty cool. Add in it was next to our outdoor ice rink and gave us an opportunity to get this close was amazing.

Coopers Hawk meal by Trevor Baldwin, on Flickr

Since the first day of 2017 began with a Snowy owl, it's only fitting to end with one on Dec 31st.

Snowy Owl by Trevor Baldwin, on Flickr

^^ those are awesome! What lovely light for the doggie to play in!

^^ those are awesome! What lovely light for the doggie to play in!

If you're ever in York Beach, Maine - head to Long Sands Beach at sunrise and watch the doggie show. There were dozens of dogs running all up and down the beach!

I will keep that in mind! All my in-laws are in RI and Mass, so I go out east a few times a year. My favorite pie shop in Maine is closed, though :(

Two different photos of the same waterfall, even very close to the same vantage point. After I went the first time (the first photo below) some suggested trying a little faster shutter to get more detail in the water. The second photo was 12 days later, with some change in water flow and a brighter day. I still should have tried even faster shutter speeds, so now I've got an excuse for trip #3. Anyway, since Square Peg said to do a print when this challenge was done (something I want anyway), which is the better photo? For me, the final choice comes down to one of these waterfall shots or one of the two Smith Rock photos back on page two. Thanks for any advice.
PantherCreek.jpg

PCF_2.jpg

I like the first Smith Rocks photo best of the four in question. Great sky, gorgeous colors, nice line with the river... the second would be the best if the sky wasn't so plain, IMO. As for these two above, I like them, especially the first one, but I think that there is too much going on in the foreground for my tastes. Maybe it's the lines all going in different directions? My eye just jumps all over the place and doesn't know where to land.

I agree with SquarePeg on the Smith Rock photos. Of the four, the first would be my choice to print....unless...

Unless you print really big. 30" on the long side, or more. I would print the second waterfall image. I think that would look fantastic in a large format! large enough where you could get close and actually have to turn your head to see the whole frame.

Most reactions

Back